What are the possible long term complications?

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 1:55 pm
RNY with

Good Evening Folks :) I used to be a regular here for a couple of years as a lap-bander. I had some difficulties with my band so I revised to sleeve surgery in November of 2012 (though I found much more success with my lapband). I am 19 months post op today. My insurance changed shortly after my surgery and I didnt start the referral process up to see my surgeon as I didnt have any post op needs. I am now wondering if there are any long term complications I should be watching for. I get regular stomach disturbances (i.e cramping, gas, upset stomach) and my stomach seems to always make sounds if there is anything in it (I substantially reduced dairy with my lapband as it used to be the primary culprit of these things and continue to keep it to a minimum). I dont think these are in any way a sign of a complication but it does make me want to be alert for anything should it arise.

Also I've never felt my sleeve worked quite the typical so I cant help but be a little cautious now. What I mean by not working in a typical fashion is I never lost my hunger (woke up hunger post-op). I also keep my portions small by measuring but without measuring can eat more than 1/2 a cup in a meal (I realized this relatively early on so it isnt a result of time passing/ stretching per say). I also only lost 50lbs of the 100 I needed to lose (despite following rules closely including careful portioning, calorie awareness, low carb, exercise, etc.) Anyways I am not putting down sleeve just checking in to see if I should keep an eye on anything out of the ordinary. 

Thanks

Judy700
on 6/23/14 2:43 pm
VSG on 03/11/14 with

You are much farther out than I am so I would assume you are doing pretty well medically.  I also don't know if there are complications that don't show up until 1.5 yrs out, but I would think the most common ones would have happened already.  What I do think, though, is that you've lost out on all the advantages of support from your bariatric team post surgery.  I have both my surgeon and nutritionist seeing me every couple of months and I always have lots of questions saved up for them.  In your case, I'd be asking both of them about why I'm not losing any more.  How long did it take you to lose the 50 lbs?  How long have you been working at losing more?  My NUT has told me how many calories I should be at now and how many I will need to work up to.  She has also said what I will need for maintenance.  If you really do still need to lose 50 lbs to be a healthy weight (not just relying on what the BMI chart says) and you're not doing it on your own, I'd be asking them what I need to change.  Can you still go back to them now?

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 3:53 pm
RNY with

Thanks for your feedback. I didn't actually think I am suffering from a complication, I was hoping to just have a list of potential ones to continue to be aware of. Also I used the same surgeon for my Lapland as my sleeve so for three years every 3-6 weeks I saw the team for feedback, nutrition etc. even though I live 70 miles away. My insurance changed 1month after my sleeve so unfortunately I did not get a chance to continue visiting but I do feel I gained a boatload of knowledge in the time I had them that I continue to use to help in maintaining my weight. Realistically I could lose 30-40lbs and be very content and healthy but yes according to BMI charts I should still lose about 60lbs (I don't stand a chance btw). 

Vivian Prouty
on 6/23/14 11:09 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Sarah...with any revision the weight loss comes of much slower than if it was your original surgery.   I have always heard this...that could account for the slower weight loss.    As far as the weight goes.....I never reached my goal weight....I was close then things in life happened and I had a regain.   Trust me...I've been trying to loose the regain for years.    Good luck to you and make sure your exercising too along with making good food choices.   You had WLS to get healthy not get into a certain size or see a certain number on the scale.    Good luck in your WLS journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 11:15 pm
RNY with

Thank you Vivian. I hadnt thought about it being harder the second time around but now that you mention it I believe I did hear that before. 

Vivian Prouty
on 6/23/14 11:45 pm - Fort Worth, TX

Your so welcome.   I personally had never heard this till about a year ago when someone who had a revision who is part of my support group said that our surgeon said it is harder loosing the weight after a revision.    It's NOT impossible...just harder.   Good luck to you on your journey.

Hugs and blessings ~~~ Vivian

GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CAN NOT CHANGE;   COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS THAT I CAN;  AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE !!!!    THIS IS MY DAILY PRAYER.
Vivian Prouty      Obesity Help Support Group Coach  "LOSE IT 4 LIFE"

mickeymantle
on 6/23/14 3:06 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

Judy are you taking a ppi or h2 blocker , acid is ofter mistakes for hunger and also makes stomach noises

if your not losing you have to make shore your measuring and tracking all food and staying on plan

50 lb is real good for 3 months ,everyone loses at a different speed  and light weights tend to lose slower

usually the more you lose the slower you lose more , and we all go thru stalls that can last 2-3 weeks or more

stick on plan and the weight will come off

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 3:47 pm
RNY with

I think you misunderstood. I lost 50 lbs in nine months and with the exception of 3-4 lbs that come and go I've maintained it for an additional 10 months (I'm 19 months post op). Also as I mentioned I measure, track, etc. not sure if you read my post at all, lol

Linda B.
on 6/23/14 4:48 pm - CO
VSG on 09/13/12

I noticed that you are in Victorville. Mike B (DH) and I live in Apple Valley. We both have the VSG. There is a once a month support group that meets in Hesperia if you ever want to join us. We typically meet the 3rd Tuesday of each month. It is primarily Kaiser people, but not everyone has that insurance.

Not sure about complications this far out, most of the longer term ones are with RNY. I am also one who never lost hunger, (but it isn't as bad as before) but I know I made to much gherlin pre-op. That was one of the reasons I could never keep weight off. The pounds I would lose would return, and they always brought friends.

Let me know if you want the support group info so I can get it to you. Keep plugging away, there have been many on this forum who were slow losers, it can happen because everyone is different. Just keep following the rules, and even if you don't lose as much as you want to, the new lifestyle is good for maintenance and general health. 

high weight 230 start of journey weight 217 surgery weight 191 current weight 138

D. Scott
on 6/23/14 11:17 pm
RNY with

I would LOVE to join the support group. If you could please send the info my way where they meet and times. THANK YOU!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views