Sipping from Straw after VSG???

DiaMon
on 7/1/14 12:02 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I was never instructed on the straw thing... But I love using straws to drink my protein shake, I get in way less air then when I drank straight from a cup. It depends on the person/sleeve.

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

Catwoman77
on 7/1/14 1:12 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I was told not to use a straw in the beginning because they were afraid you would drink too fast and they wanted us using the little medicine cups.  However once I was advanced to all foods the ban on straws was lifted.  In fact it was suggested to another patient who was complaining of excessive gas and belching that he try using a straw as it may help him ingest less air. I use a straw for my morning protein coffee and haven't noticed any issues. 

VSG with Dr. Michael Jiser, Lowell General Hospital

HW 281, GW 155, CW 149 5'11"

amyvsg6614
on 7/1/14 7:28 pm
VSG on 06/06/14

3.5 weeks post-op and I use straws no problem :)

AngloAm
on 7/1/14 11:22 pm

I drink from a straw when I forget not to - but as the presence of the straw in my lips reminds me it's there, I'm conscious to take very small mouthfulls, so I've not had a problem. But then I've not had too many burpy issues with or without one. Mind you I'm not as 'big' on straws - I remember in England we didn't use straws as much as here; certainly not in restaurants. I also remember being told off when I blew bubbles with mine! :)

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

MacMadame
on 7/2/14 3:01 am - Northern, CA

They gave me a straw in the hospital. I use them all the time with no issues and I take in less air with them than without them as I tend to gulp more air when I don't have a straw to make me sip.

If a straw does make you take in more air in your tummy, you will not get a burning sensation in your throat but an upset tummy.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

AngloAm
on 7/2/14 5:57 am
On July 2, 2014 at 10:01 AM Pacific Time, MacMadame wrote:

They gave me a straw in the hospital. I use them all the time with no issues and I take in less air with them than without them as I tend to gulp more air when I don't have a straw to make me sip.

If a straw does make you take in more air in your tummy, you will not get a burning sensation in your throat but an upset tummy.

Unless you live in Beijing - then air stings.

SLEEVED 21 May 14 with Dr. B. Greene. Max weight 470 lifetime; 395 pre-op; goal weight 190. Current weight 217; 178 lost so far, 27 to go and keep off.

musiqsoulchild
on 7/2/14 8:50 am

This is a normal reaction so close after surgery I was advised to avoid straws I think for 2 months by my dr./ actually it was the clinic dietitian anyhow I remember being out w/ my hubby and getting a glass of water about 2-3 weeks out and experiencing that feeling but not so intensely and it clicked "no straws." lol but ya trial and error now I'm almost at 4 months out and can sample most things w/o issue and just out of preference skip the straws since I prefer mostly hot beverages lately anyhow cold is good too after a long walk or if I'm feeling hot but in that case I just grab a chilled bottle of water anyhow.... what you said is weird others experience it and about 2-3months out it shouldn't continue to bother you but again trial and error...Keep up the good work !!! 

musiqsoulchild
on 7/2/14 8:52 am

I mean *not weird* lol 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 68 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views