Comparing sleeve surgery to an appendectomy or c-section

wyo_sarah
on 7/1/14 5:52 am

My husband recently had his appendix out and I've had two C-sections.  I'm wondering if there is anyone out there who has had either of these surgeries and the sleeve. I'm hopefully going to have my sleeve done in the beginning of August and I would like a comparison as to the recovery, pain, etc.  My husband's surgeon thought that recovery from the sleeve would be easier than the appendectomy because I'll be going in healthy, while my husband had an infection.  Thoughts?

Shagdoll
on 7/1/14 5:54 am

OMG, to me ... my VSG was a cake walk compared to my C-Section.  4 teeny incisions compared to the 1 from the C-Section was easy peasy.  :)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

wyo_sarah
on 7/1/14 6:13 am

How long did you stay home after your VSG?  I will have one day shy of 2 week before I have to go back to work.  Of course, that is work, it is taking care of my two kids, husband and animals that is the real work!  That won't ever stop.

Shagdoll
on 7/1/14 6:21 am

Hi there,

I stayed home about 10 days.  I felt fine when it was time to go back to work.  Luckily I have an office job so it was nothing strenuous.  I did feel a little tired but that's to be expected.  The first month is definitely the toughest but hang in there.  It will get better!!! 

I hear ya on the kids.  I had a 2 year old and a 6 year old at home.  Have your hubby step up.  Hopefully he will see that you are going thru this to get healthy and have more energy later on.

Best of luck to you.  :)

Jenn  

WWBD?  

Tracy D.
on 7/1/14 6:14 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I had two C-sections, both the old-fashioned vertical cuts.  No comparison!  C-section MUCH worse!!  Having VSG was nothing compared to that.  I think VSG was much more comparable to my laparoscopic gallbladder surgery that I had 10 years go.  

I had surgery on Friday, went home Sunday and was driving and running errands on Tuesday with no problems.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Musicteech
on 7/1/14 6:46 am - TX
VSG on 06/17/14

I totally agree with Tracy.  My C section, 17 years ago today, was also the vertical type, & it was no fun at all.  I also has laprascopic gall bladder removal 19 years ago & VSG 2 weeks ago & both were easy & never needed the pain meds once I got home.

Highest wt 353 (Sept. 2013); surgery wt (June 17, 2014) 336; Current Wt 250.

LakeErieGirl
on 7/1/14 6:29 am
VSG on 06/17/14

I also had C-sections. Three as a matter of fact! Two were , done with epidural and one I was completely out and he was taken by emergency.However, they all three used the same incision! Yay! I was lucky. Great surgeons.

My boys are 23, 19 and 8. I was very aware of " pain"! Each c- section did get easier. My last section was easy! 

Now comparing the sugergies- the vsg was easy as you don't have an infant to take care of! You only have you!!! That's so nice. Also, I think if you have had c- sections it does help or at least for me it did because you know how to " move". You know how to get up, how to turn in bed, etc. I was able to sleep on my side my the 5 th night thank goodness! I'm a side sleeper and I knew I had to or I was not going to get any rest! Also, the first night I remember the nurse came in and she said I had to turn over on my side. She asked if I knew how? She said the were required to check for bed sores after surgery if you were in the same position too long. I was on my back from surgery until that night. I was thinking- I got this ! I even said something about the sections because you know how to grab the bed and move and scoot. You know you aren't going to die/ even tho it feels like it! Lol. 

I even told my hubby I was so thankful I had my c- sections because it helped me through this. I honestly thought this was a cake walk pain wise. I was only in " pain" a couple of days on and off. In fact, I was at my youngest son's baseball game the day after I was released. No one there knew I had surgery. My best friend sat beside me , and had no clue! ( I haven't told anyone.) I thought she would mention the " track" marks on my arm because I had a pic line in , but she knew I had blood work the week before so all was good! Ha.

I know you are going to hear some good and some bad stories about how hard the surgery is, but you really don't know honestly until it happens sometimes! Good luck on your journey. I hope you do have an easy surgery! 

Btw, I'm 2 weeks out today . You would never know! I feel great!! 

5'6" 44 yrs old Heighest Weight Ever - 295 (Pregnancy)

SW-270 lbs Pre-Op -242 lbs CW -224 lbs Goal Weight- 147lbs

wyo_sarah
on 7/1/14 7:39 am

Thank you, everyone, for your replies.  I'm so excited to have surgery and now I'm not so worried about the actual recovery.  Now I can focus on being worried about my eating habits. :)

Amber G.
on 7/1/14 8:49 am
VSG on 04/02/14

VSG recovery was WAY easier and less painful then a c-section :) I had 2! You will do just fine! 

Blithe1212
on 7/2/14 12:53 am
VSG on 03/05/14

Every one is different. I had my gall bladder out and a c section, both infected, but the vsg seemed a longer recovery for me. I wouldn't change it for the world regardless of the pain! It was about 3 months for me to feel better. And I am only 4 months out now. I thought this surgery would be a piece of cake but I had issues with my stay in hosp( not enough Iv fluids and pain meds) that hindered my recovery. Plus you are full of emotions, you can't fill the void with food anymore..regrets..hormones get released when weight comes off. But then I hear other people recovery so quick. I wish you the best of luck! 

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 58 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 234 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 308 views