Can I just vent for a short second?

NatalieKelley
on 7/9/14 5:27 am

I was talking to my aunt about my progress on qualifying for insurance coverage on WLS and that I have to just do a sleep study and based on that I will know. She responded with saying that she hopes I realize this isnt a quick fix and that I wont just drop all the weight in 2 weeks and she doesn't want me going through the pain and spending the money for unrealistic expectations (what she said in a nutshell). 

THAT IS WHERE I GOT IRRRRRRIIIIIIITATED

I have been researching WLS for YEARS. I started the process in 2007 and then found out I was pregnant so I put it on hold. I managed to lose some weight on my own but it always comes back. I am fully aware that WLS is a tool and not a quick fix. I have to use this tool to help myself because without it I know I cannot do it. I've seen two different doctors, watched countless educational videos, gone to a seminar, I am pretty well-versed and so ready to move forward. I think people underestimate me sometimes. 

VENT OVER.

Mrs_Desire _
on 7/9/14 5:37 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 11/18/13

Well.... Most individuals are not going to UNDERSTAND your reasoning behind getting the surgery.

For ME... It was a medical need. Diabetes had gotten out of control, thyroid giving out, PCOS, asthma waaaaay waaaaay out of control and my knees hurt like hell. Knees kept giving out on me while I was walking. Falling down stairs. NOW my knees are some happy campers and I am OFF ALL Diabetic meds.

This IS NOT a QUICK fix nor is this SHYT easy!!!! Obesity is a constant battle in life. I have had to let a few people see the REAL LIFE of a SLEEVER in my family.

At the end of the day.... Do what makes you feel better about yourself and YOUR HEALTH.

I am sure you will do fine.

Myfitnesspal: MsDesire​  - Revision from Realize Band Patient

Height: 5'10" HW: 305  SW: 298 Surg Goal: 195 Endo Goal: 165 

D66
on 7/10/14 12:53 am

Love your posted comments 

DSJSMOM23
on 7/9/14 5:43 am
VSG on 06/24/14

This is why I chose to keep my journey to myself. I only shared with a select handful of people. Now that I've had my surgery, i'm a little more open about it, but i'm still careful of who I tell.

I told my family that I am doing it, and all I ask from you is for your support. If you have opinions, that's fine, but keep them to yourself.

I too researched it for a LONNNNNG time. I was in my WLS program for two years before I had my surgery. I only told my family in January of this year (I had surgery in June)

Just remember that your Aunt probably does mean well, and she might not realize that you have already done your research. That's what I keep telling myself when my family, who just finds out, offers an opinion. They don't have a CLUE what I've gone through this past two years. Maybe your aunt doesn't either?

Good luck!!!! :)

NatalieKelley
on 7/9/14 5:44 am

Thank you. I have kept it from a lot of my family because I don't want to hear their opinions. I will probably tell them AFTER the fact. :)

jenn1469
on 7/9/14 6:29 am

My mom said the same thing but I still got the surgery. I feel it was for me and nt anyone ealse. I feel your the only one to know if your gonna use the tool or not. Be strong and do what you think is best to you.

cappy11448
on 7/9/14 7:08 am

I just hate it when people assume I'd do the surgery and not have done the research to know what I'm getting into.  I've had people give me little lectures on how I'll need to follow the plan or I could gain the weight back.  - as if I wouldn't know this...  sigh...  Oh well, people are just people.  You've got to let it be their problem.

Best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

TexasTerritory
on 7/9/14 8:20 am
VSG on 07/22/13
This may not work for everyone you talk with about your WLS...but I told one person that I didn't have to discuss the times when I had sex in hopes of becoming pregnant. Having sex doesn't guarantee a pregnancy.

Actually I researched WLS much more than I did pregnancy etc. such decisions are very personal and shouldn't be judged by anyone. Good luck.

kathie1212
on 7/9/14 9:56 am - Stoney Creek , Canada

exactly why exactly 2 people  other then my immediate family know :)

Do this for you ! Don't worry about anyone else! 

best of luck to you 

KRISTIN M.
on 7/9/14 12:10 pm

I know its hard I had people trying to talk me out of it I had the never ending friend of a friend who died or had horrible complications and the oh well so in so did that and gained it all back. I just told them look I did my homework I know the risks and the benefits and you can be supportive or be quiet. 

HW  259. Sw 230.  Cw 188  TL 71 M1(-15) M2(-10)M3(-6)M4(-6)M5(-5)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views