Need options for Pre-Op diet!

Laura222
on 7/11/14 5:28 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Hey y'all! I was approved on Wednesday for VSG and called to set up my pre-op appointment on Thursday.  I was asked if I wanted a certain date or just next available.  I was like duh! next available! I have inservice for the new school year on Aug 4 and 5th so I need this done before then.  She set up my pre-op appointment for July 22nd and then that's when I get to pick my date.  The lady also told me to go ahead and start my diet....I'm hoping that means that my surgery will be soon after the 22nd, like the 23rd or 24th.... 

Anywho, my reason for posting this is because I need options for my diet! I'm a not a creative person and am not a chef AT ALL!  I can pretty much handle my breakfast.  I can have 2 eggs, a slice of bread (which I was shocked!), and 8 oz of a non-calorie drink. For snack I can have a protein shake and 1-2 cups of non-starchy veggies or fruit.  Lunch is 3-4 oz of lean meat, 1 cup cooked or 2 cups raw veggies.  Snack is another protein shake.  Supper is the same as lunch, and then another protein shake after that.  Totally not a bad pre-op compared to what I've read other people have.

I'm only on day 2 and I'm sick of it. I have been eating Oscar Meyer's rotisserie chicken, it's sliced up like for a sandwich and about 2 cups of carrots.  That's what I had for lunch yesterday, supper last night and lunch again today.  Someone please help me out what other things fall into "lean meat" "non-starchy veggies".  I'm sure there is some fantastic dish out there that can combine the two things or other options than carrots.

civilmomma
on 7/11/14 5:46 am
VSG on 03/07/14

chicken, tuna, shrimp, lean pork, lean beef, turkey, salad, green beans, spinach, zucchini, cucumber/pickles, soybeans/edamame, radishes, olives, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers 

personally, I would keep it simple since you will have to post-op.  Just cook up some meat and serve it with salad or steamed veggies.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Dawn ..
on 7/11/14 5:53 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I have nothing to contribute, but Wow, you get to chow down on your pre-op diet. Mine is strictly liquids: 2 shakes per day, and then any liquid you can see through (chicken/beef/vegetable broths, sugar-free popsicles and drinks, etc.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

oufanindallas
on 7/11/14 6:17 am - Little Elm, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

My pre-op diet was for breakfast and lunch, a protein shake and / or a low carb protein bar. For dinner I could have 5 oz of lean protein, 2 cups non-starchy veggies and 1 tbs of fat (butter, mayo, dressing).   Fish and shell fish are great soft foods that are full of protein.  Lean cuts of beef such as skirt steak on a salad is another good choice.  You can do 3 medium country style ribs. Once i get past my 6 week period I was told to start following the diebetic cooking and Food Network has some that are good for both pre-op and post op.  

Cheryl H.
on 7/11/14 11:37 am - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

You are very lucky!  Previously, I tried to have the lap band done and my liver was too fatty and enlarged.  This pre-op diet is to shrink your liver.  My doctor (not my doc now but Dr Gregory Barnes) kept asking me if I cheated on my pre-op and I didn't.  It was 5 days of SlimFast and I could have celery, cucumbers and green bell pepper to crunch on.  Because I had the issues before, I have to be on protein shakes up to 5 a day and I get one cup of chicken broth to help with the sweet on top of sweet on top of sweet.  I was like YESSSS!  Broth!  But I was expecting it to taste like Campbell's Chicken Noodle and it DIDN'T!!!  Ugh!  I'm on day 2 of 14 and I'm just cleaning out my pantry, fridge and cabinets......everything is going in the garbage because I know I will never be able to eat like I used to again and frankly, I am ok with that!  (oh and I'm a teacher too!)

As to eating on your pre-op, if you aren't cooking for family then you need to mix it up and not eat the same things so many meals in a row!  That's why you are sick of it already!  Your baridoc should have given you a list of foods and sample meals.  Go to a discount bookstore (I love Half Price Books!!) and look for cookbooks that are vegetarian or diabetic.  Google search for healthy recipes for one.  Thin slice some zucchinni, yellow squash and mushrooms (onion too, if you like it) and only do half of the squash, putting the rest up for another day.  Put in a steamer basket or microwave dish, sprinkle with garlic powder, herbs like Mrs Dash and a little bit of water, cover with plastic wrap and nuke for a few minutes.  Eat that with rotisserie chicken from the store, not sandwich sliced but take the skin off!

YOU CAN DO IT!  Just mix it up!

Laura222
on 7/11/14 2:52 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

HW: 275  SW: 267.4 (1st day of pre-op diet)  Pre-op: -16.5lbs  M1:-17.8  M2:-11.9  M3:-12.5   M4:-16.5   M5:-10.5   M6:-5.1

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 255 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views