What happens to our metabolism after weight loss surgery?

TanyaR
on 7/18/14 5:39 am

I don't exactly have the best metabolism around and I was wondering is it gonna be worse after I have my VSG and take in way fewer calories? I did the HCG diet once and sticked to the plan and regained everything and then some!!!! Leaving me with awful stretch marks. Yesterday my boyfriend told me that the same thing will happen again even after the surgery and that its just a waste of money. I'm sad and worried that he in fact is right but I also can't believe seeing as only 37% of people with weight loss surgery's regain most of their weight back compared to 95% of traditional dieters. An opinions and comments from people in maintenance would be awesome.

Tracy D.
on 7/18/14 5:59 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Having VSG isn't going to make your metabolism worse than it is right now.  Everyone's maintenance balancing point is different.  Some women are able to maintain their goal weight and eat 1800 calories a day and some women have to stick to around 1200 a day.  Only time will tell with you.  It will also depend on how active you are post-op ie. how much exercise you do.  

Right now I'm maintaining within my "window" at anywhere from 1500-1800 calories a day.  But I also exercise 6 days a week for at least 45-60 minutes.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

wendyss
on 7/18/14 6:21 am

I found this article very insightful,  http://www.refusetoregain.com/2008/10/your-metabolism-after-weight-loss.html

I have not read the book but plan to look into it. I love the title, Refuse to Regain, that will be my motto once I get to goal.

The way I see it is that I had weight loss surgery and this will be lifetime change, it will not be a diet I will be off at a certain point down the road. I plan to change  to make this a permanent solution to my  many years of weight problems.  I do not like to exercise but if this keeps me from regaining, I will exercise.I did not get that lucky gene people who love to exercise get, I most certainly wish I had it!  I have not been doing  very much yet and am still losing any way  but I know this is one of the key components to my success. I am working towards it slowly. 

I believe that knowing what you need to do is important. I cannot fool myself and say I did not know. I got  the sleeve , I know I need to choose my foods and I know I need to exercise. My doctors  made it very clear all 3 components  are equally important and I believe this fully. One will not work without the other 2.  

This is not my first surgery so I know it is possible to waste your money and regain. I cannot blame my past failure totally on my incorrect  choice of surgery ,  I know not changing my habits was  a big part of that failed attempt too. As sick as I was of being fat I was not ready to change.  But i am ready now. 

If you are ready to be part of the % that keeps the weight off long term you will. 

VSG  2014  with Dr Gilberto Ungson (after failed lap band) 

happyteacher
on 7/18/14 7:00 am

Your boyfriend is terribly uneducated about weight loss surgery. 95% of people who do not have surgery are unable to lose and keep the weight off- per research. With surgery, research supports substantial losses still prevelant 5 years out. It will not make you impervious to regain- but odds are much farther in your corner with surgery. 

I am a little over 2.5 years out from surgery and no issues with maintaining my 100% EWL loss.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

edelu
on 7/18/14 11:33 am - los angeles, CA

It leaves the building.  My entire life i could lose on 1200-1500 calories, now i find it hard to lose on 800.  You will end up with a shot metabolism, especially since it's bad to begin with.  I had to really try to build up muscle and i still have the hardest time.  My maintenance diet is 800 calories.

I do see the gifted on here who say they can eat 1500 a day and perhaps that is the reason why there is so much regain with this surgery.  Eating 800 for the rest of your life is hard.

happyteacher
on 7/18/14 11:54 am

I don't think this is typical. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

edelu
on 7/18/14 12:12 pm - los angeles, CA

But it is my story and I am sharing it with her.  I don't post here often because i have struggled at being told exactly this, whether it is being completely compliant and losing more slowly than everyone on the board or any number of things that were and are my experience. From what i remember your journey was not typical either for this board in the way you chose to take it and so i will say i'm surprised at your response.  Not being typical does not mean not valid but again i am reminded why I post here once every six months.

SATXVSG
on 7/18/14 1:19 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

It may have to do with a ratio of weight to calories.  You weigh 105 it looks like.  Someone maintaining 150lbs is going to need more calories.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Annievvho
on 7/18/14 1:25 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13
Annievvho
on 7/18/14 1:21 pm - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13

Maybe it's none of my business, but I don't think she was trying to insult you or invalidate your experience. I think she was just trying to let a scared pre-op who was just fed baloney from her boyfriend understand that while your experience is valid and therefore completely possible, you might be on the extreme end of the spectrum, whereas someone who can maintain at 2,000 or more calories per day would be at the other end of the spectrum. Those are both very real possibilities, and anything in between is as well. I hope your metabolism problems can be eased over time with your muscle gain, and in the meantime, I'm sending you all my support to get you through the very tough situation of being stuck at 800 calories for maintenance!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views