Getting sleeved on October 16th

alib1976
on 7/20/14 10:34 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site, but I am greatful to find i palace where I am not alone in overcoming obesity.

My situation is a little different, I am doing a self pay for my procedure, so the protocol is different somewhat.  I still have to do an endoscopy, sleep test, EKG, chest. X-Ray, nutrition counseling, and blood work.  Anyone else not have their procedure covered by insurance?   

My weight is steady at 240, I am 5'2" so my target is to lose 110 pounds.

for those of you that had the sleeve, why did you choose this over the more common by-pass?

Thanks,

ali

MsShawna
on 7/20/14 11:06 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Hi congratulations on your upcoming surgery I didn't choose VSG I actually wanted the bypass but due to my scar tissue from my c- sections the surgeon said that is the one I had to have. I am only 10 days post -op but I believe I will be just as successful. With my VSG.

alib1976
on 7/20/14 11:12 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thanks MsShawna!  I met with my surgeon this past Monday, and she did a pro / con comparison with the sleeve and the by-pass, but was pretty non-committal to what she thought was best.  I chose the sleeve because of it being a bit less invasive.

MsShawna
on 7/20/14 11:21 am - OH
Revision on 05/01/17

Your welcome and I think you will do just fine!

mollz007
on 7/20/14 11:06 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I was self pay as well. I started the process in November and had surgery in February.  I could have had it sooner but I had issues with work.  I just had to do an EDG and psych consult.  I choose the vsg for a lot of reasons,  but I was mostly worried about malnutrition.  I also liked that it was a less invasive procedure. 

check out my blog!

alib1976
on 7/20/14 11:20 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thanks Mollz007.   I met with my surgeon on Monday.   So everything seems to be falling into place quickly.   

My my boss, while supportive, told me that, January would be ideal.  Since it is our slow time.   My concern is my health continues to go downhill.   I have fibromyalgia and moderate osteoarthritis in both knees, depression /anxiety, hypothyroidism, and possible type 2 diabetes, last numbers showed a normal H1C but a fasting number of 120.  So blood work this week will see what's going on there... 

I felt very overwhelmed by all of this, and when my sugar was mentioned it was like, that is it, line is drawn and I won't wait until January, I don't think I could.   The knees limit me quite a bit.   

mollz007
on 7/20/14 11:26 am
VSG on 02/20/14

I am a para and my job involves a lot of walking, so I tried to schedule surgery during a break that would allow me to have a lot of recovery time. I could have done it in December, but that didn't work out, and the next break wasn't until spring. I realized that I have to put my health first so I decided I should do it as soon as I could. I ended up taking FMLA for two weeks in February, and I am so glad I didn't wait! Don't let your boss try to tell you when to have your surgery, do what is best for you.

check out my blog!

alib1976
on 7/20/14 11:43 am
VSG on 10/16/14

My job is mostly a desk job, I am an inside sales person.  How long were you off of work?  I am hoping I could return to my job within two to three weeks post op.   It's a shame that your employer can support you but the bottom line is "what's the best for the company".  

I want to take this important first step to a healthier me sooner rather than later.

Gwen M.
on 7/21/14 8:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome to OH!  

VSG is becoming more and more common.  I chose it because I have no desire to have permanent malabsorption of good stuff and temporary malabsorption of bad stuff.  And lots of other reasons.  I like the simplicity of the VSG.  I like that I can eat anything.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)