They say I'm taking the easy way out.

TanyaR
on 7/20/14 4:54 am

I have only told 3 people about wanting weight loss surgery. My long time boyfriend and the father of my children, my mother and my mother in law. They are horrible!! All three of them eat like PIGS! and never gain an ounce! They are those people we all "hate" the people who can eat a full pizza a 2 liter soda everyday and stay the same weight. They don't get it they say I'm choosing to take the easy way out and that I am lazy! I have never seen them work out a day in there life and they eat worse than I do. They have seen me do so many diets from HCG to a well balanced diet and I either stop losing or gain everything back. I suffer from PCOS and really bad insulin resistance and even so they think I can do it on my own. I have been watching what I eat for months now trying to keep off the 13 pounds I lost by working really really hard before no more weight loss. This is horrible and I have my money saved and I really only need 1,000 more to get my surgery amount. But no one wants to help me because they don't agree with it. The time they chose to listen to me they just said why not just stop eating thats whats surgery is gonna do for you isn't it? I swear it was like I was stabbed in the gut. My boyfriend has his days where he acts supportive then becomes a nay sayer again IDK what to do I feel so alone and with all this negativity I feel like I'm set for failure. Has anyone else been thru this did things change?

weeziebeth
on 7/20/14 5:03 am

I am so sorry you are encountering this. Is there a weight loss surgery support group you can go to and perhaps take one of them with you? Perhaps one through the surgeon's practice you will be using? I think hearing the stories of those who have gone through WLS may be informative for them. Also, there is abundant scientific evidence supporting WLS as by far the most successful method of losing significant weight long term-would they respond to such evidence? Again, I am so sorry this is their reaction-hoping you can find support and encouragement here and through others who care about you. 

Pegasus_AM
on 7/21/14 10:38 am

Seriously since when is the decision to have any kind of surgery the easy way out. If someone says they have to have there gall bladder removed, does anybody say they are taking the easy way out No !!! So why should it be any different for you. I'm sorry your not getting the support you deserve at home but as you can see you'll get tonnes of it here. I hope you keep your chin up and make the right decision for you :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Gwen M.
on 7/20/14 5:05 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry that your family is so unsupportive, that sounds absolutely miserable.  Thankfully, you don't need anyone's support to make decisions for your own health and to follow through on them.  Of course it would be nice if you did have it.  

Are you able to take any of these people to a weight loss seminar with you?  Or to a support group meeting?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

White Dove
on 7/20/14 5:16 am - Warren, OH

People who are able to go on a diet and lose 50 or more pounds easily are going to do better with the sleeve.  People like me who found it excruciating to lose ten pounds often do better with RNY.  Just something to consider while you are making plans.

I laugh about taking the easy way out, because surgery was the easy way out for me.  I did the same things I did before surgery.  Counted calories, fat, carbs, protein and followed diet plans.  I worked out, sweated, lifted weights, swam, ran and cried when I got weighed.  After surgery I did the same things but the weight came off and stayed off.  I am never hungry, eat small amounts, enjoy all foods, have tons of energy and wear size 4 jeans.  I am 66 now and I mostly act and feel like 16.  I look much younger than I am. 

Many people can eat what they want and never gain weight.  You and I are not like them.  What surgery can do for you is take away your hunger and make you full on small amounts of food.  My old stomach was the size of a two-liter bottle of soda.  It took a lot to get it full.  My fully grown pouch is about the size of an egg.  It take very little to fill it up.  Surgery is going to give you a small stomach.  No amount of dieting can do that for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

SkinnyScientist
on 7/21/14 5:33 am

i love your answer. We have had similar experiences. I hope I "regressively age" (i.e. get younger) like you!

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

jobe05
on 7/20/14 5:27 am

Next time they tell you your taking the easy way out, tell them that your taking "The Only Way Out"!  Let them know that they don't let just anyone get on the table for WLS, you have to meet certain criteria in order for WLS to help your comorbidity.  Your not just doing this to lose weight, your doing it to get healthier and live longer.

Unfortunately your still talking to people who don't understand the health risk of being over weight, or the health related issues that causes your weight issue to begin with.  You can try to educate, but sometimes you just can't fix stupid.  I hope and pray that you can get what you need to get your surgery!  Till then, keep your head up and know that your at least smarter than others.

jenn1469
on 7/20/14 6:38 am

My mom was very negative. But I got the sleeve anyways so now she is supportive. Let me tell this is not easy. I think it is still hard but see better results. Good luck to you!!!

Jennifer

angel720
on 7/20/14 7:23 am
VSG on 08/06/14

I hope that surgery provides an EASIER way out  for me . I know it will not be EASY exactly  but sure hope that it is easier than it has been so far without it. if I did not believe this I would not be having surgery.    Try not to get offended with the comments, in the end when you lose the weight and feel happier  who cares how you did it! 

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

linzeelee
on 7/20/14 1:58 pm - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Angel, it IS easier. Not easy, but easier. I happened to notice your stats, which are very close, and your doctor. Of course I cannot speak for the doctor, but the team at MBC is fabulous (I truly believe that they, along with Dr. Aceves, saved my life), and I can't believe it was only 14 months ago that I was there wondering whether I could really do this. Best wishes to you!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 76 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 280 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 333 views