How soon?

tabby_87
on 7/20/14 12:00 pm

Hey all, just curious when did you all move to the next stage in your diet? I'll be 7 days out tomorrow and feel like ive been doing pretty well but need a lil more substance. Is that normal? I was just curious if I can have thicker typed protein shakes, then why not a thicker/creamier typed soup? I plan on speaking to Dr, just wanted some over all opinions on how long you were in the clear liquid stage after surgery? Thanks in advance!

Why choose to fail, when success is a option?

happyteacher
on 7/20/14 12:08 pm

Different surgeons, different techniques, different plans.... 

I was on clear liquids for 24 hours. Full liquids (protein shake, greek yogurt no chunks, cream soup) for the next 2 weeks. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

novascotiadawn
on 7/20/14 12:21 pm, edited 7/20/14 12:36 pm - Calgary, Alberta, Canada

This was my guideline, but, chicken broth was my best friend for awhile! :)

Approximate Schedule

Stage

General Description

Length Of

Time

Starts after surgery & after gastrograffin swallow – continue with IV fluids

Water

(1 oz per hour) sipped

One day

or less

Completed in the Hospital

Clear Fluids - low sugar, decaffeinated, non-carbonated

Sip slowly & progress to 2-4 oz per hour

(Clear soup broth, juice, "Boost juice", jello)

One day

or less

Getting ready for discharge, you will be introduced to Stage 3 and evaluated for tolerance.

Full Fluids - low sugar, high protein

Drink slowly & progress to 4-8 oz per hour

(Carnation Instant Breakfast, Boost, Ensure, milk, strained creamed soup, smooth yogurt)

4 weeks

Home - start 4 weeks after surgery

Slowly introduce soft or lean mashed/ground

(scrambled egg, soft cooked vegetables, soft cooked fish) No bread, rice, pasta or raw vegetables yet

4 weeks

Home - start 8 weeks after surgery

"Normal" (lean meat, fish, & poultry, fresh fruit & veggies, whole grains & legumes, healthy fat, and low fat dairy). Continue with protein powder as needed to meet 60 - 80g protein daily

Lifetime

Leaky sleeve survivor!!! 2008/2009 ~ 5'7"~ 42F Bougie

mollz007
on 7/20/14 12:28 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

I was on clear liquids for the first two days and then I was on full liquids/pureed until the end of week 3.

check out my blog!

tabby_87
on 7/20/14 12:28 pm

Hmm, this does vary between patients!  I was told to stay on a clear liquid diet until my first follow up which is the 24th. Of course im very grateful for my new tummy, but Iam feelin likeI could eat the wallpaper! 10 days is along time on clear liquids. 

Why choose to fail, when success is a option?

NurseJackie
on 7/20/14 12:34 pm
VSG on 07/10/14

LMAO!  I feel the same way.  I have had tears over not eating and thought to myself that I could eat and cheat!  I haven't  I have my first follow up tomorrow.  I was on clear liquids in the hospital and then they started me on full liquids and my protein shake before I left.  My schedule is 2 weeks on full liquids, then 2 weeks on pureed, then 2 weeks on soft foots and then I transition to a regular diet.  

VSG on July 10th, 2014