Bummer - Be The Match - waiting period to register

civilmomma
on 7/21/14 2:44 am
VSG on 03/07/14

I just got my BMI under 40 which means I can sign up to be a marrow donor through Be The Match.  My father died of a blood cancer, so participating in the bone marrow registry is something I really want to do.  I donated blood parts for his treatment, and even though a bone marrow transplant couldn't have saved him, his disease is similar to those that could be saved by transplants.

I went through the online thing, and I apparently have to wait 12 months from "major" surgery.  I think VSG is considered major since it was not outpatient and well, they did remove a large portion of a major organ.  I didn't need blood, didn't have any complications, and went back to work 10 days later - maybe I shouldn't have checked "major surgery"?  Would you consider VSG to be "major"?  I didn't think it would exclude me b/c the FAQ said that as long as you were recovered (which I think I am), you could register to be a donor...then in the actual registration, it says 12 months wait.

This is frustrating as I had been considering this registration as one of my NSVs b/c I wanted to register when my dad was sick, but my BMI was too high.  Now I meet the BMI but can't help yet.  grrr.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Jackie T.
on 7/21/14 2:47 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

I would just contact the registry help desk and ask them.  My surgery was considered outpatient.  Sorry about your dad but this is a great thing you are going to do.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

-Flo-
on 7/21/14 6:20 am
DS on 04/11/16

Not to rain on your parade, but you should contact your doctor and see if it is ok with them if you donate. Mine does not want me to donate blood anymore because bariatric patients have a harder time recovering from it. VSG is a major surgery and your body is under a great deal of stress trying to heal from it.

I admire you for wanting to do it though.

civilmomma
on 7/21/14 7:32 am
VSG on 03/07/14
On July 21, 2014 at 1:20 PM Pacific Time, -Flo- wrote:

Not to rain on your parade, but you should contact your doctor and see if it is ok with them if you donate. Mine does not want me to donate blood anymore because bariatric patients have a harder time recovering from it. VSG is a major surgery and your body is under a great deal of stress trying to heal from it.

I admire you for wanting to do it though.

I will verify with them, but donating stem cells or marrow is more involved than donating blood anyways.  You take meds to increase your red blood cell counts and things prior to the donation.  I know I wont be able to eat my way through a blood donation recovery like normal people do...but who cares if I am a little woosy for a few days if I could possibly save someone's life.

I think my doc was ok with blood donation after 6m as well - assuming I'm not deficient in anything at the time.  I'll ask again at my 6m check-up.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Gwen M.
on 7/21/14 8:33 am, edited 7/21/14 8:33 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's interesting, I registered for this at a drive when I was in college in the late 90s, but then ran into some people taking sign ups a few years ago and was turned away due to weight.  I don't remember weight being an issue when I initially signed up and it's hard to figure out if I am in the registry from that original sign u*****t.  ARGH.  

Yes, I think VSG counts as major surgery.  People will need help in 12 months too, so try not to sweat it :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Justme7
on 7/21/14 12:04 pm - ID

Your chances of being called are slim. I have been on the list for over 7 years and no calls.  The year will go quick so just stay on the list and maybe you will get a call after the year has passed.  

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views