NEGATIVITY

alib1976
on 7/25/14 2:15 am
VSG on 10/16/14

I had an appointment with my rheumatologist yesterday (I have fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis in both knees) she has me on Naproxen for the pain and neurotonin.  

I told my doctor that I will need a different pill for the pain management after the surgery, (I'm scheduled October 16) as I can't take NASIDS.  She said that I can go back on it AFTER surgery, and I said no that my surgeon says to avoid them as it increases the risk of ulcers. 

She says isn't this procedure a bit drastic?  hope much is it going to be?  (my insurance/employer provides no coverage for WLS)

I suppose she wants me to just let the ever increasing list of medical issues keep climbing.  I am dieting and everything and the scale isn't budging.

I can understand family / friends being negative, but a medical doctor?  I wasn't prepared for that.

Needed to vent.

Jaime P.
on 7/25/14 3:39 am
VSG on 07/22/14

Wow - that's a whole bunch of - none of her damn business in my opinion. How rude of her to ask you about cost and such. Hopefully she will give you another medication since we can't have NSAIDS or you can find a new doc that will do their job. Good luck and sorry you had to go through that. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

alib1976
on 7/25/14 10:30 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thank you Jaimie.   I thought it was a game of 20 questions.   I was unprepared for that and the complaining about having to change my meds....maybe I'll change her....

Thank you!

Hislady
on 7/25/14 3:46 am - Vancouver, WA

I've found that most docs are only educated in their own particular field. I used to find it amazing that so few were aware of bariatrics but I think it is only well understood in the bariatric community just like your bariatric doc probably knows very little about rheumatology. Doctors are very specialized these days and are doing good if they can keep up with all the changes in their own field much less a different one.

You should be able to take NSAIDs with the sleeve that is one of the benefits of the sleeve over the RNY is that you can use them. You may need to speak with your surgeon about it because it's usually ok if you take it with a PPI to protect the stomach lining.

alib1976
on 7/25/14 11:01 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Hi Hislady,

I will double check with my surgeon about the NSAIDs.  There was so much information on that day, I may have that mixed up.

mickeymantle
on 7/25/14 4:52 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

Im was able to take ibuprofen after 1 month but I took baby aspirin after 2 days 

talk to your surgeon about what you can ' take , have him her talk to your rheumatologist about your treatment

im shore the 2 of them will figure something out

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 7/25/14 5:21 am, edited 7/25/14 5:22 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I'm sorry, not all doctors are on board with the whole weight loss surgery thing, which can be really frustrating.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Dreamingofbeaches
on 7/25/14 7:02 am
with

I'm sorry you had that experience.  I asked my PCP her opinion and thoughts, after meeting with my surgeon the first time.  She actually went and researched VSG before we talked.  She was very supportive and felt it was a really wonderful decision for me to make for myself and my family.  I would add that other than sleep apnea, I didn't have any other co-morbities...but really, those had to simply be a matter of time at my weight.  Have you talked to your PCP and got their opinion?  Ultimately, only you know what is best for you and your life.  I second the person that said cost is none of the doctor's business.  Seriously, that is amazing that she asked that.  I think my life and enjoying life is worth a great deal.  Best wishes to you on this journey.

-Jen

Consult weight 4/7/14: 381.5   SW 7/1/14:

alib1976
on 7/25/14 11:06 am, edited 7/25/14 11:06 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Hi Dreamingofbeaches,

I haven't seen my PCP yet, that's one of several appointments in the near future.   

In addition to the fibro and the osteoarthritis, I have depression/anxiety, PCOS, insulin resistance, possible type 2 at this point, waiting on the blood work, I don't think I have sleep apnea....it seems every year i gain a new ailment.

i don't think you can out a price on trying to live your life healthier and longer.  It's all I want. :)

thank you for your support!

White Dove
on 7/25/14 7:21 am, edited 7/25/14 7:22 am - Warren, OH

Most of the world is not on board with weight loss surgery and many doctors do not endorse it.  My PCP was very opposed to my having it because he has seen so many of his bariatric patients regain their surgically lost weight. 

The sleeve is the surgery to have when you need to take NSAIDs.  Taking a PPI with the NSAID is an excellent plan.

Your doctor is in agreement with the majority of the world that surgery is drastic and we can just lose weight by dieting and exercising.  We know that it does not work for us.  Do what you have to do.

Your doctor does not want your medical issues to continue, your doctor simply does not agree with weight loss surgery.  You do not need her approval and your success with help to change her attitude in general.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active