Day 4 post op: protein shakes upsetting my stomach big time

ElizaM
on 7/27/14 11:22 am, edited 7/27/14 11:33 am
VSG on 07/24/14

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else found protein shakes really hard on the new sleeve? I thought at first it might be the milk, but I have tried shakes with Kefir, milk, and just plain water. Each time, it gives me shooting gas pains. It hurts and cramps as soon as it hits the stomach. I am taking Gas X but I'm not 100% sure if it's helping at all. It keeps me from sleeping. Just pang after pang of gas pains. I am using isopure and syntrax powders.

Water and broth are no problem and I can drink with relative ease. It just seems like anything with calories when it hits the sleeve is unbearable right now. 

Any advice? Or is this just another this too shall pass thing?

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

hollykim
on 7/27/14 11:35 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

it could still be lactose intolerance since whey is a mpilk product. Maybe try an egg white protein powder with almond milk and see if that makes a difference. Jay Robb makes a good egg white protein.

gl

ElizaM
on 7/27/14 10:42 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

I tried just plain kefir and had no problem. I will try some plain milk next. 

Right now I'm drinking unflavored whey protein isolate in water. Ugh, it's starting up again.

I have a call into the nutritionist line. We'll see I guess.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

hollykim
on 7/28/14 12:03 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

kefir and yogurt are fermented and I.  Think fermentation takes the lactose out so. You couldn't go strictly by that. 

Valerie G.
on 8/2/14 5:00 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I'm with Holly - probably the whey protein.  I get the same effect from all whey protein.

Also like you, kefir, yogurt, cheese, most other dairy (except straight uncooked milk) are fine 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

luvmygrls85
on 7/27/14 11:51 am - North Prince George , VA

I'm 9 days out and was experiencing the same ....It was suggested to me by my surgeons nurse who has had the surgery also. To heat up evaporated milk with a little bit unsweetened chocolate powder then when it wasn't too hot mix in a protein powder It seems to work best ...also unflavored protein powder in tomato soup or other soups ....I'm still struggling but it is getting better daily. 

weese
on 7/27/14 2:06 pm
VSG on 02/26/14

I used unflavored protein powder in warm fat free, low sodium chicken broth. 

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

Cheryl H.
on 7/27/14 10:47 pm - Crowley , TX
VSG on 07/24/14

I'm 4 days post op today and experiencing some of the same issues.  I feel EVERYTHING that hits my new stomach and yesterday the nausea was unbelieveable.  I just backed off to using my little medicine cup of liquids, like Propel and timer, taking a drink every 15 minutes.  This seemed to help me get the liquids in and the distress was minimal. I'm planning on using this method today to get protein in as well.  I don't think it is the protein that is giving the distress but just the amount hitting the new stomach. 

Cheryl

stephanieplum
on 7/27/14 11:12 pm
VSG on 06/27/12

This happened to me for the first 2-3 months posts-op.  After drinking whey protein my tummy would hurt so bad it sent me to the ER.  I couldn't do milk products either.  I found a unflavored soy protein and mixed it with 1/4 of a banana, cocoa, water or almond milk and stevia. I had a problem with the smell, too.  It was a life safer for me!!!  I later was able to go back to whey protein.  I love my shakes.  I can do cheese and yogurt.

You have to get your protein in.  Find a way...I tried many!!!  Hope it's better soon.

TexasLady52
on 7/28/14 12:39 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I had my surgery 6/10/14.  I have had a terrible time in trying to get my protein in.  Everyone I tried gagged me.  A gentleman contacted me and told me about Genepro Genetic Protein by Musclegen Research.  It has been reduced from a scoop to a tablespoon.  It is oderless, tasteless and you add to hot or cold.  It dissolves without lumping.  I ordered some last week and got it in Friday.  This past weekend it the first time that I have got all of my protein in and did not throw up even one time.  I mixed it in my tea, crystal light and sprinkled it on my food.  I love this product and would highly recommend it!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 88 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 301 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 348 views