Needing guidence as I'm feeling lost.

Gwen M.
on 8/1/14 10:24 pm, edited 8/1/14 11:01 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

If you work with people who actually have OCD that's all the more reason you should know there's a huge difference between being worried or obsessed about something and actually having OCD. Your justification is hardly an acceptable reason to make light of a serious mental illness. 

I do wish you luck in your journey, but I hope you'll be more compassionate regarding mental illness in the future. 

And here's an article worth reading -- http://blog.iocdf.org/2013/03/01/5-things-ocd-is-not/

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Laura in Texas
on 8/1/14 10:46 pm

As you are tracking, make sure you are weighing or measuring every bite. We tend to forget what a real serving size looks like.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Keelan
on 8/2/14 2:44 am

Thanks you Laura and yes I do still weigh and measure my food. I have great retention when it comes to my sleeve and most food items other than slider food are sitting around 1 cup total. So with that being said depending on the type of protein I do 3-4 oz and then the other 4-5 oz of food become what I call my side dish, carbs and veggies so my total intake is 1 cup. Depending if I'm really stressed or upset then food intake is less as my sleeve gets very tight as when I travel via airplane.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

White Dove
on 8/2/14 12:22 am, edited 8/2/14 12:23 am - Warren, OH

Certain terms start to become used in language as slang.  After a long time we don't even hear them.  The first time my husband said something stupid and my brother replied, "That is so gay", there was almost a fist fight.  Because gay meant something different to each of them.  I intervened and explained to my husband that his manhood was not being attacked, just his opinion.

The first time my son told me that something sucked, I told him that he was describing a sex act and he was embarrassed.  That was thirty years ago and now nobody is shocked when someone says something sucks. 

OCD is becoming one of those terms.  Educating people about the misuse probably will not make any more difference than my shock at hearing the word suck used to describe something that a person did not like or agree with.  The formal meaning is a devastating mental condition.  The slang version is something that other people do more repetitively than others.

The term might become part of everyday slang, like "anal" or "anal retentive" did twenty years ago to describe someone who was obsessed with relatively minor things.

In the end, they are just terms.  The original poster meant no disrespect by using a term that is common slang.  Using the word as slang does not mean that the person needs to see a therapist. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Keelan
on 8/2/14 2:41 am

Thanks you for posting White Dove and thank you for understanding.

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 2:46 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The fact that the OP is obsessed and stressing about her weight is what means she should consider seeing a therapist.  Her misuse of a medical term just means that she needs some education so she can avoid the same mistake in the future.  These are unrelated things.  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Irisher
on 8/2/14 4:12 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 12/27/12

I have a feeling I may regret not leaving this alone, but here goes nothing. Gwen, I feel like you are purposefully missing the point of her use of the term 'OCD' (as well as squelching her freedom to describe her situation in terms she feels will get her point across). In the process, you are doing this board a disservice by derailing the conversation away from an important issue. Your critique--which has nothing to do with the purpose of this board (help for obesity)-- is exactly the kind of response that makes people afraid to post their questions for fear they will say the wrong thing. Please do not confuse this with the knowledge and experience that veterans and others share to help OPs get back on track (the swift kick in the pants).

For the record, I am a practicing therapist. In the same way she used OCD as a colloquialism (not as a psychiatric or medical term), I also use colloquial language such as, "Have you lost your mind?" or "She's lost her marbles." When I use these phrases, I'm not referring to my clients or to anyone's actual state of mental health. I am simply using language in the same way that WhiteDove explained.

And finally, you stated that "she should consider seeing a therapist." In the words of Dr. Phil, "You don't should on me and I won't should on you."

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 4:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I believe that OCD education IS an important issue and the only way that people will ever change their inappropriate use of the term is if others educate them on why it's inappropriate to use in a casual manner.  See the article that I linked to above on this topic.  Lots of people use words in unacceptable ways and that doesn't mean that everyone should turn a blind eye just because "oh, you know what they meant."  

And, gosh, you make it sound as though recommending a person see a therapist is somehow an insult.  Many, many people on these forums have found therapy to be a super useful tool to deal with feelings such as the ones the OP is experiencing.  I know that I certainly have.  

Irisher
on 8/2/14 4:55 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 12/27/12

The purpose of this board is not to educate people on the appropriate way to express themselves. Keelan needs help to lose 10 pounds, not a red herring to distract from the relevant issue. If you want to go on an off-topic rant, start a new thread and label your soapbox appropriately. Don't hijack someone else's thread to do it.

Suggesting therapy is not an insult, nor did I take your repeated suggestion as a personal insult. As you stated, many people--you and I included--do benefit. Keelan, however, was clear in her responses to you that she does not feel that therapy is needed at this time. She owns the autonomy to decide if she wants to engage in a therapeutic relationship regardless of your feelings that she "should" because she's "obsessed and stressing about her weight." 10 pounds of regain after four years of weight loss and maintenance paired with a desire to turn things around indicates to me that she has some tackle in her tacklebox. Therapy could certainly be an option, but it doesn't have to be the first line of defense. As a therapist, I always like to see my clients go back to what they've learned before they come back to me.

Keelan
on 8/2/14 1:04 pm

Thank you Irisher for your post. It's great that you totally understand where I am coming from and I appreciate your kind words. I am a vet and have used this board to share my journey and what worked for me with other. Unfortunately due to people like the other poster I had stopped coming on here for support. Now after reading all her post and the other post I have decided that I will not let one bad apple ruin the whole darn barrell.

I am struggling right now and before dealing with my obesity head on and having the sleeve surgery I wouldn't worry about a 10 pound gain nor a 20 pound gain which lead me to be 274 pounds. I am very concern with the weight gain and I have had many conversation with myself over the past four years in regards to weight gain and the knowledge that it can happen. The end result was I would never let it get over 10 pound. Now I guess I'll be called crazy for talking to myself..lol.. anyway with that being said Like i previously posted I have been dealing with this since Novemeber of last year. Occasionally the scale will drop a pound or 2 but nothing siginificant. I have been given the tools to use and although I have applied them my body just doesn't want to let go of the weight. This frustrates me and therfore I came on her for support and to see if anyone could give me positive insite to things I could change up to make my body come out of it's comfortable mode.

Thanks a bunch.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 89 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 303 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 349 views