Am I being silly?

Rachael R.
on 8/1/14 3:12 am - CA

After my 4th seminar, I finally found a surgeon I feel comfortable putting my life in their hands. My only problem is that she is trying to convince me to get the RNY instead of the VGS. I have been researching all options and I know the RNY is not the best for me.

The doctor says it will get me the best results the fastest but fast isn't my main goal. I have lupus and RA and need to take NSAIDS occasionally. I also don't want to rearrange all my insides and have to take handfuls of vitamins and other pills just to avoid looking like death is at my door.

I know I should trust her but I also know the doctor would prefer to do any surgery but the VGS. I have a few co-workers who have WLS with her and they all told me that she talked them out of having VGS and getting RNY. 

I am 27, 5'3 and 340 lbs. I  need this surgery for so many reasons but am I being silly because I have my heart set on VGS for 4 years now? I know I have a high weight but I need outsiders opinions. Do people with higher weights have harder times reaching their goal weights?

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

Jennifer E.
on 8/1/14 3:16 am

I knew RNy was not for me.  Follow your gut.  

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

Jaime P.
on 8/1/14 3:28 am
VSG on 07/22/14

I don't think you're being silly at all! This is your body and your life so it should ultimately be your decision. I think you may need to look for another surgeon who specialized in VSG instead of RNY. 

Instagram

32 y/o female 5'2"; HW 260; GW 140; SW 245.8; CW 233; BMI 43.6

Strickland5000
on 8/1/14 3:39 am

Follow your gut. If she's trying to discourage you she's probably not used to or comfortable doing the VSG surgery in which case you need to find one that is. It's your body and your money. Get what you want!!

Tracy D.
on 8/1/14 3:39 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

You aren't being silly - you have done your research and have very good reasons as to why VSG will be best for you in the long run.  

I would question WHY she isn't comfortable doing the VSG?  Is it because she doesn't do enough and isn't proficient at it?  If that's the case then RUN the other direction to another surgeon.   You want to go to someone who has done a LOT of the type of surgery that YOU are getting, not just a surgeon who has done a lot of weight-loss surgeries in general.  Hope that makes sense! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

civilmomma
on 8/1/14 4:02 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Your BMI alone is probably why she says RNY...the malabsorption with restriction CAN mean more success, BUT if you work your sleeve correctly, you could have the same results with VSG.

Your Lupus concerns are VERY valid and should be taken into account with future med needs.

I don't think this is the right surgeon...sounds like she isn't listening to you.  Perhaps she isn't good at VSG so she doesn't like to do them.

My surgeon said at my BMI 53, they typically say RNY but I am young and otherwise healthy, so he said VSG was right for me. 

Long term the data is showing that VSG & RNY have similar WL success, but if you have diabetes or special medical stuff, RNY might be better for that. 

Also, if you are ever considering pregnancy, VSG is easier to manage then as well - less concern about vitamin issues.

Good Luck - I hope you find a surgeon who listens to you.  Ultimately, this is your choice, but it should be guided by a professional.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/14 4:32 am - NJ
Revision on 07/23/14

Maybe she really is not the doctor for you. I had my initial surgery in 2008, and back then, sleeves were not as common and were mostly done on very overweight people in preparation for RNY. If sleeves were as common back then as they are now, that is what I would have gotten because I absolutely hate dumping syndrome!

Zee Starrlite
on 8/1/14 4:45 am

Sorry I would not feel comfortable putting my life in your surgeon's hands  - "she ain't the one"!!!  I say this because you go to her office and you present with lupus and RA and she suggest a bypass!  That is wrong.  I have a form of RA - it is no joke.  You need to be able to take NSAIDS when you need them.  We NEED "anti"-"inflammatories" for stiffness and pain.  I refrain from any meds but as my surgeon says "take it if you need it".  He said that to me at a couple of weeks out when I was experiencing a "flare".

At your weight though I would consider the VSG with DS (duodenal switch).   Yes, many people have done well with the sleeve as a stand alone but there seem to be a great deal gaining (as soon as their sleeve matures and they are able to eat more, they do and the weight comes on the same as pre-op).  I know that is possible.  I can eat anything not just sliders.  So it is a constant monitering of your intake and exercise - just like pre-op.  This is a no slacker allowed WLS lol but true.

Good luck to you and please do not have RNY.

Best,

Layla

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Rachael R.
on 8/1/14 5:27 am - CA

I have never thought of VGS with DS before.. that is something to look into. I have a pretty good pain tolerance due to being in pain everyday for the past 7 years. I only take meds as needed and its not that often. I mostly need the anti inflammatories for weekly use. I only take the pain killers when I am on the verge of not being able to walk which isn't that often. Sadly, I need to be able to take them when needed though.

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

Zee Starrlite
on 8/1/14 6:36 am

Good luck with whatever you choose Rachael.  If it is simply the sleeve you want then by all means go after only that.  You are young enough to really work hard - higher bmi people have done it with just the sleeve.  So long as you work on changing your relationship with food every single day and don't rely strictly on the surgery to do it for you.  

And you can reset your immune system.  I still believe that I can cure myself with the proper foods (really strict vegan like diet puts one in remission).    My go to green drink for imflammation is celery, cucumber, green apple with a large portion of ginger so spicy it it opens your whole face and chest up lol, but it heals RA flares for sure (and my sleeved stomach has no issues with that heat :).  My stomach sleeved just feels natural unlike the created pouch from the Lap Band I had first).  I use a lot of heat therapy (baths, salts, pads) to avoid the chemical stuff yet still I need the option to take an Aleve or some NSAID if things get bad.

All best to you!

L

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 323 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 367 views