How did you respond when the unexpected occurs??

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/1/14 5:15 am - MI

Quick backstory, I’m about 2 month’s pre-op! I’m participating in a 6 month mandatory program required by insurance company. So far, I like the program and support! I have got a ton of great advice on OH from reading others posts and from response to my own posts.  I have been making changes such as giving up coke zero, replacing breakfast with a shake, paying attention to water intake, eating protein first, etc.

With all of that being said what do you do when your routine spins out of control?? Not to be woe is me or give too much information, but my father was hospitalized this past weekend. My Mother has Alzheimer’s and we’re her main caregivers. Needless to say my time was spent tending to my mother, trying to fit in work and spending time at the hospital. I’m great at planning, but awful when the unexpected occurs. Everything I had practiced was out the window the week.  My Mother and I ate out twice. We split a meal one night and the other night I ordered a salad. I didn’t consume shakes for breakfast this week and I also had more than one coke zero.  What have others done when the unexpected has happen and stayed on track?? I haven’t had time to come on OH this week and get the question out there faster?? I was to succeed after surgery and I know the unexpected will happen again. I felt like I was on top of things heading into this surgery and one setback and I back to my old habits!

civilmomma
on 8/1/14 5:24 am
VSG on 03/07/14

Being the primary person responsible for 2 elderly people is challenging!  You are doing a great job by recognizing that you need some tips and tools to get through the tough times.

Ready To drink protein shakes...I always have 1 or 2 chilled and ready to grab on my way out the door if I don't have time to do a powder one.

Eating out - focus on protein first, then veg, then fruit, carbs last.  Choose water instead of the coke zero - or tea/coffee if you need the caffeine fix.

If I am out and about and need a snack, I grab a small skim milk from a gas station, or a cheese stick, or some jerky. 

It is all about being prepared and having a plan if that doesn't work.  I have 2 little kids and weekends are madness - I have to make decisions on the fly if I didn't pack enough of my stuff in the cooler (or if the little monsters want my cheese stick!)

I hope your dad gets better and that you can regain some time to focus on yourself too!

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Gwen M.
on 8/1/14 5:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

My dad was diagnosed with cancer about a month after I decided to pursue surgery.  He started chemo at the beginning of December and I spent every third week with my parents to help out during his chemo weeks between then and my surgery which was in March.  I had to miss his last chemo week due to recovery, but a good family friend helped out in my absence.  

Needless to say, this was crummy.  I had tons of appointments that I needed to do to prepare and my time was limited.  My mental state was also compromised since helping my parents out definitely took a toll.  

But I stuck with it.  I told my parents about my surgery the first week I was there for chemo (since I happened to go up to their place immediately after my first appointment with the surgeon) and they were super supportive.  They understand that my obesity is just as much of a killer as my dad's cancer and they've been 100% on board with my doing everything I need to do.  So I took my shakes, and I ate the way I was supposed to, and it gave us something to talk about :P  

I scheduled as much as I could and tried to create as much of a sense of normality as I could while I was there with them.  

Then, at the beginning of July (4 months post-op), my dad had a health setback that required me to go up to their place completely unexpectedly.  But I took my vitamins and shake stuff, I cook while I'm there so I was able to cook meals that were good for me, and everything worked out.  

I think this is why it's so important to make all these changes into a lifestyle, instead of just a diet.  If you do that, you're more likely to be able to stay on track when **** happens because "on track" is just the way things are all the time, naturally.  

I hope things get better with your dad and I wish you all the luck in the world.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/1/14 8:11 am - MI

Thank you so much for your reply! I'm sorry to hear about your father and I hope he is doing better! Like your parents, my father is completely on board with me reclaiming health  and having surgery. I'm just worried about getting overwhelmed and bogged down of a setbac****urs. It's been a long time since I out myself first so I need to get in that mindset! Good luck with your weight loss and thank you for the encouragement!

jobe05
on 8/1/14 9:00 am

Not sure if this applies to BCBS across the USA, but BCBS of North Carolina as of July 15th has dropped their 6 month requirement.  I do think there should be a 3 to 4 month period of time for test, education and understanding before the surgery, but 6 months of waiting is a killer.....

I would have your Dr's office check your BCBS.  Doesn't hurt to ask.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/1/14 1:20 pm - MI

Thanks for that info. I have found give waiting period very helpful and informative. It's has give me time to process everything. I will check and see if rules are the same in Michigan.

Machelle.K
on 8/1/14 10:09 am - WA
VSG on 11/06/12

Life does throw us curve balls every once in a while, just do what you can. Then when you have a minute to gather yourself get right back to the plan. In the meantime, try to make good eating decisions. Best to you and your family.

Machelle 11/6/2012 with Dr. Houseworth WA

Cece2014
on 8/1/14 10:31 am

You've received some great advice to your post - and I agree that the most important thing it do everything you can to stay on track, keep a snack handy and don't beat yourself up!

I too am on the 6-month pre plan - really liking it, learning SO much and have lots of support.  Personally, I keep an Atkins or Kind bar (Meal replacement) in my purse "just in case".  It has come in handy twice in two months.

Another "ah-ha" recently, when stressed I can CHOOSE how I react vs. reaching for the first food-substance in sight.  It's quite empowering.

Good Luck to you and your family.

Christine

Low Carb Lifestyle is working!   HW: 370   CW: 295  GW: 200

GoBlueGirl1998
on 8/1/14 1:21 pm - MI

Thank you for the well wishes and advice. I have kind bars in my desk at work. Time to throw some in my car. 

trinoc
on 8/1/14 1:30 pm - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

I like having things handy so that it's as easy to stay on plan as it is to grab something out..  I have meat and cheese measured in 1 and 2 oz portions in the fridge.  I have plain Greek yogurt to which I add protein powder.  I already have the yogurt measured out in small containers in the fridge.  I have protein bars.  I've got fish and chicken breasts cooked and in fridge or freezer.  I keep Starkist tuna pouches in pantry.  I keep Boca Burgers in the freezer.  All of these things allow me to manage the curveballs with ease.  

Good luck!  And best wishes to your parents and you as you navigate this new time in your life.

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 65 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 249 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 317 views