Pre Op Liquid Diet Ideas??

Capegin
on 8/2/14 3:12 am

Hi all, happy Sturday!

I started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday, and two days in I'm sick of it, lol! I had some chicken broth for "dinner" yesterday because after a day of protein shakes, I was craving something salty.  Also, I think I've always known that part of my food compulsion has to do with the feeling and texture of foods, and this is really testing that.  Having a break from it for a month or so will definitely do me good, but I'm thinking about it constantly right now.  

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for coping with the pre-op diet?  I'm using Bariatric Fusion protien powders, and I do love the flavors I bought, but I can see them getting old fast.  Oh, and I did try mixing the unflavored powder in the chicken broth and it was HORRIBLE.  It caked all up and didn't dissolve, so there were giant powder chunks in it.  Nasty.  

Anyway, I'm open to any and all tips!

Thanks,

Ginnie

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 3:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You need to temper protein powder to add it to hot liquids.  So that might be why it clumped!  

I don't really have advice, just reassurance that it gets easier.  I thought the first 2-3 days were miserable, but then it got easier by the end of day 3 and into day 4.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Capegin
on 8/2/14 3:21 am

Thanks! What does it mean to temper protein powder?  I've never heard that term.

Gwen M.
on 8/2/14 3:27 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's a cooking term often used for eggs or chocolate.  It means that you want to add a small amount of hot liquid to the protein powder (like a spoonful) and stir it.  Then you add a little more and stir.  Then you add a little more and stir.  And you repeat until you get the power to the point where it's smooth and then you stir it in to the rest of the hot liquid.  It's a way to slowly bring up the temp of the cold thing (which can curdle) before you add it to the hot thing.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

jobe05
on 8/2/14 3:22 am

I am in day 5 of 14 days of Pre-Op Diet, but my diet is different than yours as I am allowed to have Low Carb, No sugar, Low Fat type items, like 3 oz lean protein (Chicken, fish, lean beef) and cooked in dry heat only, with 1/2 cup veggies for dinner.  The rest of the meals and snacks are protein drinks, Protein bar or raw veggies.  I couldn't imagine a full liquid Pre-Op diet like that.

Have you tried the Unjury chicken broth?  It's very good!!!  Could you have the broth from various soups i.e. French onion, chicken noodle, beef vegetable?  or the broth from some Chinese restaurant soups, strained very well of course.

Capegin
on 8/2/14 3:25 am

GREAT ideas... thank you!  I haven't tried the Unjury broth, but I'm going to order some now.  Anything salty is a nice break.  

It's funny how different doctors have different requirements.  A colleague of mine doesn't have to do any special pre-op diet at all!  Honestly, it's probably better this way for me, because if I got to have a little bit of dinner, I can see myself "cheating" more throughout the day.  Enjoy your lean protein, though!!  (Something most people on here probably never thought they'd say/hear!)

-Ginnie

bigabeeb
on 8/2/14 12:27 pm
VSG on 08/04/14

Are you allowed veggies?  I was allowed 1 cup of raw veggies. So I cut up cucumbers and lightly salted them. It gave me the crunch and salt that I was craving 

HW-- 322     CW--203

Stacy_WLS
on 8/2/14 3:46 am

I don't have much advice.  This was the worst part for me.  It was just so hard.  Stay positive and try to do things that you enjoy that don't include food: massage, read, sun bathe, try to get your friends to go out without any food involved: concert, walk etc.  

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/2/14 4:42 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Can you have any veggies at all? I liked progresso mushroom soup, & campbells butternut squash bisque. Bariatric advantage sells vegetable soup too which was tasty too. Good luck!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Capegin
on 8/2/14 5:16 am

Ohhhh... I didn't see the veggie soup on their website!  I don't think I can have the veggies.  My nutritionist said I can't even put fruit in my protein shakes and throw them in the blender.  I can blend them with ice, but not fruit.  Thanks for the dieas, though.  I'll definitely check out the bariatric advantage site again!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 320 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views