Surgical HYPOCHONDRIAC?

NotJustaPrettyFace1
on 8/4/14 9:13 am

Does or did anyone else have themselves convinced they should cancel surgery because they are positive they have a giant ovarian cyst or a giant Heidel hernia or fatty liver or cancer eating your organs or heart problem ETC ETC ETC......... JUST SHOOT ME NOW! I am such a freak!

Gwen M.
on 8/4/14 9:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Those would all be good reasons not to cancel surgery!  Since then you could find out something was wrong and get it fixed!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Amy M.
on 8/4/14 11:04 am - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

I also had all of these fears. I did in fact have a hiatal hernia that was fixed during surgery. I'm still in my first week post op and my hypochondria is trying to convince me that my stomach is ripping/leaking, that my incisions are opening,  etc. However,  even though I'm still in pain from recovery,  I don't regret having this done and I'm looking forward to getting back on my feet so I can make the most of my new journey. 

esther
on 8/4/14 11:04 am - vallejo, CA

Our mind tends to play terrible tricks on us when we go to do something as major as the VSG.  It is just stress which everyone has at least a little bit of.  If you are going to a good Bariatric Surgical Center they will have checked you for things that would prevent you from having a successful surgery.  That is what all the exams, blood work, ekgs, chest x-rays etc. are for.  They wont clear you for surgery if they don't think you are healthy enough for it. 

Ihearttennis
on 8/4/14 2:29 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

I was so sick and tired of being fat that I didn't give the fear of surgery a second thought. I had tunnel vision and my eye on the prize! It is not easy but well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat. It turns out I did have a hiatal hernia and it repaired at the same time. Good luck to you!

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

bertgamble2001
on 8/4/14 4:18 pm - Willits, CA

I just keep thinking that I am going to pay someone $12000 to cut out most of my stomach.  That is sheer lunacy, but it is the lunacy that I need to live a happy, healthy life.  I am very nervous, but very excited too.

Keep moving forward and you will be fine.

hollykim
on 8/5/14 2:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM Pacific Time, bertgamble2001 wrote:

I just keep thinking that I am going to pay someone $12000 to cut out most of my stomach.  That is sheer lunacy, but it is the lunacy that I need to live a happy, healthy life.  I am very nervous, but very excited too.

Keep moving forward and you will be fine.

would you consider it lunacy to pay someone to fix a broken heart or a broken leg?  What about paying someone to that an organ diseased with cancer? 

You have to put things in perspective. Morbid obesity is a DISEASE,just like other things that go wron in the body.

i couldn't wait to get on the surgery table and get my DISEASE fixed. 

hollykim
on 8/5/14 2:45 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 4, 2014 at 4:13 PM Pacific Time, NotJustaPrettyFace1 wrote:

Does or did anyone else have themselves convinced they should cancel surgery because they are positive they have a giant ovarian cyst or a giant Heidel hernia or fatty liver or cancer eating your organs or heart problem ETC ETC ETC......... JUST SHOOT ME NOW! I am such a freak!

not me. I couldn't wait to get on the operating table. I was so afraid something was going to keep me from getting a life saving surgery,that I couldn't get on there fast enough.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 44 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 196 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views