The scale is inching along in the wrong direction.... When do I panic?

Journey2014
on 8/4/14 10:05 pm, edited 8/4/14 11:34 pm

Yesterday was exactly 2 weeks since my sleeve. It seems I have been blessed (and cursed) with an iron sleeve. Nothing seems to bother me as long as I take my time and chew my food until it basically completely dissolves. I am measuring and get 2oz  in per meal. I am eating 3 meals per day with 1 planned snack (typically a sugar free popsicle or sugar free fudge pop) which I don't always eat. I am getting all of my water in and hovering around 60g of protein. Oh and water is on point between 60-75oz per day. The foods I am eating are basically FF Greek yogurt, Ricotta (including Eggface's ricotta Bake), Chicken, crab meat, cottage cheese, some cooked veggies like green beans and broc, SF popsicles, protein shakes are hit and miss right now since I am not enjoying them AT ALL.

Now I will say that since surgery I lost 11 lbs BUT on Saturday I noticed a little bump of .6lbs. No big deal, I know that sort of thing is going to happen and wasn't very concerned. But the number stayed there and today when I got on the scale, instead of being up .6lbs I am up 1.4lbs. Do I just keep doing what I am doing and hang in there until it comes down? I have been increasing my activity level and bowel movements are getting closre to normal. I can't understand what is going on? Any one else experience this so early out? Or have any ideas what I can do?

~Rock bottom has become a solid foundation on which I will rebuild my life~

TexasTerritory
on 8/4/14 10:50 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I can't really help as my plan called for liquids at two weeks out. I didn't start 'real' food until 6 weeks. Seems your plan allows food earlier. Are you counting your calories?

I am one year out and do not eat 4 ounces of anything at one meal. That does seem like a lot at two weeks out. Your tummy is still healing and may not be able to really handle that much.

But stick to your plan and all should be well.

Journey2014
on 8/4/14 10:59 pm

My plan was clear liquids for 3 days after surgery, then full liquids through day 7 and begin purees at day 8. So I am eating the above listed foods, all pureed or chewed until disintegrated. My bougie is a 36C which is medium sized to my understanding. I am following plan to the letter, measuring an weighing everything. I have yet to consume over 375 calories in a day....  That's what is so frustrating. I really don't know what to do differently!  Yikes. 

Journey2014
on 8/4/14 11:10 pm

OH MY GOSH!! I made a critical error. I am eating 2oz  NOT 4 oz!! It's 2oz or 1/4 of a cup. I have no idea why I wrote 4.  Yikes.  And I don't know how to edit my original post.

Gwen M.
on 8/4/14 11:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Your post should have a button that says "more" at the bottom.  If you click on that, edit will appear as a choice.  :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gwen M.
on 8/4/14 11:26 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I don't know if stuff like this is useful to you, but it is to me, so I'll share.  :)

If you click on the TrendWeight link in my signature, you can see all of my weights.  The solid line is my trending weight, the thin grey line underneath that are my actual weights.  If you click on the 3 month option, you can see individual points instead of the line.  So while my trend is SUPER steady, those day to day weights are all over the place.  Sometimes they're up a few pounds from the day before, sometimes a few ounces.  Sometimes they're down 2 pounds in a day only to go up a little bit the next day.  Etc.  But... my trend is always solid.  

So I wouldn't worry until my trend started to go upwards as well.  Day to day weight fluctuates and it only useful as a data point, nothing more.  

Keep following your plan and you'll have success!

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Journey2014
on 8/4/14 11:33 pm

Thank you!!  That was super helpful to see. I'm sure I will be stalking it in more detail later tonight. What kind of tools do you use? Like your scale, any devices etc to make Trend Weight work so well for you?

Your posts are always SO helpful to me. You have great insight and understanding and are a safe place to look for guidance. I appreciate your posts and all of the replies you post to what other people have going on.

-Erica

Gwen M.
on 8/4/14 11:42 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You're welcome :D  

I use a Withings wifi scale.  If you're a Fitbit person, I believe TrendWeight also works with the FitBit Aria.  I think you can manually log your weight into either the Withings or the FitBit apps as well, and use TrendWeight that way too.  https://trendweight.com/help/

I have a history of getting unhealthily attached and obsessed with numbers, so from the beginning I was worried about weighing myself daily, but this method has worked SUPER well for me.  (I did have issues when I was at my parents' house unexpectedly for a week and couldn't weigh myself, but there were a lot of other things going on that week that were mitigating factors.  Normally this wouldn't have been an issue!)  

Tracy D.
on 8/4/14 11:43 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Do not fret - you are doing everything perfectly!  I was able to advance my diet per my surgeon's plan earlier than a lot of other people on these boards too.  That is NOT contributing to what you are seeing on the scale - promise!  

What you are seeing on the scale is simply your body hanging on to water weight.  A gallon of water weighs 8 lbs.  You said you just upped your activity level.  Whenever we do that, our body reacts by hanging onto every bit of water it can to cushion and feed those muscles.  Plus you are hitting the dreaded "3-week-stall" period, which happens to just about everyone.  

Even though the scale isn't showing it, you ARE losing weight - but the water retention is making it look like you're gaining.  You can do yourself a favor by not putting a whole lot of faith in the scale as to how you're doing.  If you are tracking all your food, getting in all your protein and water, you ARE losing weight - the scale just hasn't caught up with you yet.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Journey2014
on 8/5/14 12:23 am

THANK YOU!!!!  Yesterday was the first time people have noticed my weightloss. A total of 40lbs since May. It was SO uplifting, I was lucky to have that boost before getting on the scale this morning and being so disappointed. It kind of made me feel like a fraud. Which I know is silly.

Also I am taking measurements weekly and I am down a total of 22.25 inches over my whole body. I am going to count on those measurements and lay off myself on the scale numbers for a while. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 282 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views