Getting packed for hospital...question?

marstro
on 8/3/14 11:25 am

I've read on here that some of you took Gas-x to the hospital with you. My question is in what form. Did you take pills or the strips. Anything else I should pack as a necessity? Thanks!

Gwen M.
on 8/3/14 11:30 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I got the strips and never used them.  

I wore super loose clothing to the hospital and then wore the same clothes home.  I took my iPhone and an external charger so I wouldn't have to deal with charging from a socket.  I took, and used, chapstick.  Everything else I took I didn't touch.  My ride brought a pillow in the car with him for the ride home.  :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mollz007
on 8/3/14 12:59 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

I hear a lot of people use gas x strips. I have personally never used gas x in any form. I'm guessing the strips because you might not want to swallow pills so soon after surgery?

The only things I took was a change  of clothes to go home in, my kindle, phone, chargers, and a toothbrush and toothpaste. I didn't even use my kindle though because I was too tired to read. I just used my phone to send a few texts and listen to music. Good luck!

check out my blog!

DeafNatural
on 8/3/14 2:44 pm - Winter Haven
RNY on 08/06/14

I always over pack so I've got a mid size suitcase with pjs, toiletries, feminine napkins (cause I heard the surgery might trigger that specials gift), my surgery book given to me at pre-op, iPad, phone and charger, my laptop so I can work on school stuff, my post op vites, my headphones, 4 days worth of clothes, robe, socks, pillow, and sneakers. If I thought the hospital had an updated TV I'd bring my Roku lol. I'm really obsessive that I we need something and won't have it. Especially since I'm going out of town for surgery.

High: 385 lbs     Start: 376 lbs           Current: 328.5 lbs.         Goal: 125 lbs

“The beautiful journey of today can only begin when we learn to let go of yesterday.”  -Steve Maraboli

mickeymantle
on 8/3/14 3:16 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

all you need to bring is a change of under wear  the hospital will supply every thing else

you don't need a robe the hospital gown works better when you have an iv or drain

there are phones in the hospital and you will not be able to concentrate  to do any work anter surgery  you will be tired

the anasisia and pain meds will keep you in a daze and you will need to drink every few minutes and walk every hour

gas x does nothing to help with the gas pains it is from co2 pumped into you during surgery

walking helps remove it from your body cavity and a hot towel helps with the pain

ice pops will be your best friend and don't forget the pain meds button  it stops pain and helps you heal , it will not get you addicted 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

marstro
on 8/3/14 8:22 pm

Thank you everyone!! All your advise was very helpful. There were things mentioned I didn't think of. Thanks again!!

J B
on 8/4/14 6:09 am

I've said before the only thing I asked my brother to bring me was an extension cord because my phone charger couldn't quite reach from the wall to my hospital bed :-P  

I brought one book which I tried to read but didn't really touch too often.

I was very glad I brought some flip flops: those slippers they give you are very uncomfortable, and you'll like to have something easier to put on your feet, in my opinion.

Most of the rest you need will be there for you.

Gastric Sleeve on 14 July 2014.  Highest weight: 311, Pre-surgery weight 300, Current weight 210.

amyvsg6614
on 8/4/14 11:36 am
VSG on 06/06/14

I got the strips and they didnt work at all.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views