Is this a stall or am I done losing?

PinkNoley
on 8/4/14 12:41 am - IN

The last recorded weight loss was June 23 at 161.8. Since then I've re-gained and lost the same 2-3 lbs. I haven't really changed anything that I'm doing - still eating 60-80 grams of protein a day and getting in 72 oz (at least) of water. I exercise 3x a week and walk my dog for at least 20 minutes nightly (I don't count that on my fitness pal). 

Is this a stall or is it possible that I'm 10 months post-op and just done losing and 161 is where I'll stay. I've always said that I wasn't sure if 140 is realistic since I've never seen it as an adult...or a teen for that matter. I've said from the beginning that I'd re-examine things when I closer and see if I thought 140 was an option. Even the psychologist told me in my pre-op eval that I was over shooting, 140 would be almost a 100% excessive weight loss.

So, do I just adjust my goal and say I did my best? Shoot for 155 instead of 140? The thing that bothers me is that I'll still have an 'overweight' BMI. I know that's not totally accurate and I should just be comfortable, but it's still a mental thing for me. Maybe now I just focus on toning my current body. It's still flabby in several areas and what I would consider fat as opposed to just hanging skin. I like to refer to myself as being skinny fat now.

Am I giving up too soon? Is this just a stall that I can pull myself out of and get to my goal?  

Surgery: 9/20/2013
Highest Weight: 276 | Surgery Weight: 238.6 | Current Weight: 164 | Goal: 150

skeller
on 8/4/14 12:50 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 05/01/14 with

What does your surgical team say? Were I in your story, I would get a consult with my surgeon and nutritionist, and work out a plan based on their recommendations for that additional 20 pounds. I would get a personal trainer, and map out a plan with him, too, specific to weight loss.

It may, in fact, be more difficult to lose that last 20 pounds than it was to lose the first 80, but it's possible.

Also, as I think about it, I would first look at exactly what I was eating. What is your daily calorie level? General speaking, my understanding is that one really needs to stay below 1000 calories per day, if not below 800 to lose weight. You may be getting in a good amount of protein, but have sugar and white foods (bread, starches, etc.) also crept back in to your diet? Are you still logging everything? Love the exercise amounts, but you know that it's calorie intake that really affect weight loss.

All best!

DOB 1958, HT 5'4" . . . HW 310, SW 281, CW 184.3

M1 -25, M2 -7, M3 -11.9, M4 -7.6, M5 -11.8, M6 -9.6, M7 -1.7, M8 -10, M9 -5, M10 -5

Stacy_WLS
on 8/4/14 12:54 am

I am in a similar spot.  

I think there are some key things you need to consider:

1. Are you happy with your body? 
  2. Are you content with your eating plan now?
  3. Do you want to fight to get off more weight?
  4. Will fighting to get it off make maintaining it harder?

I am still about 10 lbs from where I thought I wanted to be.  I am completely happy with my body and diet right now (accept for the late night snacking -- eek!).  I do not want to reduce my calories at all -- as I am worried pushing the envelope now would make maintenance much harder.  I am content eating what I'm eating -- exercising more is not really an option for me as I'm already exercising a ton.  

My personal thought is a lot of people have bounce back because they push hard for those last few pounds into a range that is not realistic for the long term.

I'm looking at this for the long haul.  Yes I could get skinnier, and I still might, but right now my body has found an equilibrium.  

You need to answer these questions for yourself.  At 6 weeks about being the same weight you are in a maintenance level -- you probably need to change something to loose more weight, but maybe where you are is where you should be. 

Good luck!

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

greensleeved
on 8/4/14 1:10 am
VSG on 07/10/14 with

How is your health? How do you feel? Physically? Emotionally? If the answer to both of those things is "good" then I don't know that I'd push for those additional 20 lbs. I know some people here might disagree with me, but I am willing to take a body that is less than perfect (whatever that is).  I think it's easy to be influenced by societal and media pressures that are unrealistic. My therapist has said that the BMI calculator is not a good gauge of health and I agree. Keeping doing what you are doing. If you lose more then great. If not, think about how far you have come!

"Free your ass, and your mind will follow."  HW - 287, Start W - 273, Surgery W - 257, Onederland - 4 months 1 week post op,  100 lbs lost - 8 months 1 week, CW - 162

PinkNoley
on 8/4/14 1:20 am - IN

Thanks for the input. Overall, I feel amazing. I am happier than I've ever been and have more self-confidence than ever. I just don't want to sell myself short or "settle". But at the same time, I don't want to be a person who is constantly focused on diet and exercise. I want to live my life!

Gwen M.
on 8/4/14 4:41 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Are you hoping to stop exercising and go back to your old diet?  Maybe you could work on figuring out how to make your current way of eating and exercising feel like they're a more natural part of your life instead of something that you're having to constantly focus on?  That's definitely the goal I'm aiming for in my own life!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Rez_123
on 8/4/14 3:28 am

I was just coming on here to make a post right along this subject in regards to goal weight.  I'll still post it, but basically I don't think I'm going to choose a goal weight and I'll kind of "know it when I see it."  I think otherwise I'll make myself slightly crazy.  I think if you feel good and are on-plan, then you can either call it now or readjust your goal.  You've clearly had a lot of success to get to 161, which is awesome!  Don't drive yourself too nuts.

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

csbsteph
on 8/4/14 3:37 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

Look at how far you've come.  My goal is 160 & I'm fairly tall almost 5'9.  Depending on how tall you are, how you feel & what your surgeon & Nut say...you know your body best & they can advise you on a realistic goal.  My Doc didn't set a goal weight for me but I just remember way way back when I was 160 I was in great shape & felt great.  If you're feeling great don't give up or give in & don't look at it as setteling just continue to do right & eat right so you don't gain but really you've come a long way baby!

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

PinkNoley
on 8/4/14 3:54 am - IN
On August 4, 2014 at 10:37 AM Pacific Time, csbsteph wrote:

Look at how far you've come.  My goal is 160 & I'm fairly tall almost 5'9.  Depending on how tall you are, how you feel & what your surgeon & Nut say...you know your body best & they can advise you on a realistic goal.  My Doc didn't set a goal weight for me but I just remember way way back when I was 160 I was in great shape & felt great.  If you're feeling great don't give up or give in & don't look at it as setteling just continue to do right & eat right so you don't gain but really you've come a long way baby!

That's the thing - I'm only 5'3, so at 160, I'm still a chunky girl. However, I do admit I've come a long way and am THRILLED with the 115 lb lose I've had. 

Yogalady
on 8/4/14 9:10 am

I am in the same boat- slow loss if any- want another 14lbs gone, but I know it's going to be slow going- not going to kill myself wAnt to be able to maintain for the long haul

Taking it one day at a time- one meal at a time!

Most Active