having a hard time getting it all in...

cettaroo
on 8/4/14 12:21 pm

Hi, I too am one week out.  I had my first post op doctor appointment today with the weight loss center doctor and the nutritionist. I thought she was going to say I was way low on protein and water, but she said I was doing great. I too,  am having a difficult time getting in all the protein, but then again, the docs say to strive for 40-50% of the total right now.  The shakes are gross!  Way too sweet and have to split them up so I don't feel overwhelmed.  I also add Nectar unflavored protein to just about everything I eat to increase the amount. You really can't taste it.  I used to love Greek yogurt.  Not any more.  It makes me so sick I feel like throwing up just looking at it.  I am now eating Fage plain yogurt-18 grams protein w/ 1 scoop of unflavored for a total of 28 grams.  It literally takes me an hour to eat 2 oz, but eventually I get it all in.  The only thing I can seem to drink is decaf iced tea.  Water feels too thick going down, and crystal light is way too sweet.  I feel full after only a few sips, but I keep going.  I am not getting in anywhere near the amount I need, so the doctor told me, if it's a choice between the protein and the liquids, get the liquids in for now.  It seems to be getting better.  I too feel so full on the smallest amount of anything I put in my mouth.  And the best part is:  my new stomach growls and hurts like it is totally empty and I am starving until I put some food or liquid in it.

Best part is one week post op and I lost 17 lbs, so something is working. 

Good luck.  It does seem to be getting better.  :)

Tita1975
on 8/4/14 9:58 pm - Fresno, TX

Good morning. .

I have a question,  can you drink protein shakes after surgery and how do you make broth with protein? ?

Please help I'm confused. ..

wyo_sarah
on 8/5/14 2:03 am

The plan with every doctor seems to be different, so check with your doc to see what you can drink after surgery.  I could only do clear liquids for a week, so I was drinking this kool-aid type drink that I bought from the doctor that had 15 grams of protein.  It was good at first, now it is just tooooooo sweet!  My first two times with broth, I just bought a box of regular old broth and then mixed the unflavored protein powder into it.  The full name is "Syntrax Nectar Medical Whey Protein Isolate".  You have to be careful when your food is hot though because it can curdle and too hot of temperatures can break down the protein.  I hope that helps.

Tita1975
on 8/5/14 3:41 am - Fresno, TX

Yes, it does thank you very much!!! 

wyo_sarah
on 8/5/14 1:58 am

I don't think I can eat yogurt yet.  I've been having protein in everything I eat, but just not enough, I guess.   I put the Nectar protein in broth with some steak seasoning to make it taste a little better.  That was good, but after 4 ounces that took me an hour to eat I felt like I was going to explode.  I also had a hiatal hernia repaired and I wonder if I'm just more swollen than normal and that is why I'm having such trouble.  Today I'm starting full liquids so I have a chocolate protein drink that isn't so sweet and it has 30 grams of protein in 11 ounces of liquid, so I'm hoping that is going to make me feel better.  I'm just so dizzy all the time and so very full that I'm really struggling.

Congrats on your 17 lbs!  I'm one week today and I'm down 14 so I'm very, very happy.  I just feel crappy.  I'm sure it will get better soon.  I'm going to have to get over the dizziness because I had to take my daughter to the doctor this morning and now I'm at work.

Thanks!

LovingEsme00
on 8/4/14 8:33 pm

I am also 1wk post op and struggling with fluid and protein intake. Yesterday I had a total of 52 oz of fluid whi*****luded 37 g of protein. I feel like I'm stuffing myself with fluid to the max that it hurts AND I'm still having some incisional pain which doesn't make things easier. I have my 1st follow up appt today with my surgeon. I hope I'm on the right track. Honestly there's times I cry in frustration and desperation cause I just wanna be able to drink easily. This is way harder than I ever expected. 

~Esme

VSG on 7/28/14!

Age: 34 5'5" HW: 304, SW: 284, CW: 247 (10/13/14) GW: 165

M1: 22, M2:8, M3:?

wyo_sarah
on 8/5/14 2:06 am

Me too!!  I e-mailed my nutritionist last night and she said to drink as much as I can (protein drinks and water) but stop before I feel nauseous.  It isn't that I feel nauseous but that it actually is painful.  My incisions hurt, my stomach feels like I ate a 2 lb steak and it is absolutely miserable.  I hope you get some help at your appointment today.  I live 5 hours from my surgeon so my first appointment isn't until next Thursday.

Valerie G.
on 8/4/14 10:31 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

First of all - it could take a few weeks to shake off the anesthesia.  I was very listless for a good 5 weeks.

Second, maybe you need more frequent,but even smaller sips.  I had my giant 64oz cup and sipped constantly.  1oz is like a gulp to you right now, but that will get better in a few days or so.  The protein will come, but fluids in general are most important right now.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

kerniec
on 8/5/14 6:59 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/22/14

At one week I still felt like A##, I was weak, yet I have been able to sip fluids easily since day of surgery. So just focus on fluids then protein and it will get better. I am 2 weeks today and I climbed stairs and have run intense errands nonstop for four days, carrying powder and wards and a bottle with me so I always have an emergency meal.  I swear I just woke up one day and felt normal again. I don't have as much stamina but I feel like me again. 

275 SW 8/5/08LB 165MW 2009-11, LB complications 2010-14

7-22-14 Revision LB to VSG 212SW/192CW/159GW  HT 5'7"

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views