does anyone get too skinny?

lessofme123
on 8/9/14 8:22 pm

I am a little over two months out from my vsg. So far I've lost almost 45 lbs and am almost halfway to goal. I started out at 220 and am 5'3".  My restriction is so great right now that I don't think I could eat more if I tried. I am consuming around 600 cal a day now. What will I do if/when it is time to stop losing? How do you make it stop? Or is that a problem that will take care of itself?

cappy11448
on 8/9/14 8:53 pm

I think you'll find that your capacity will increase over the first year until you can eat significantly more than you are now.  Plus, as we lose weight, our bodies need less calories to sustain our weight, so the weight loss slows.  Then I understand that its just a matter of adding a few more calories each wee****il the weight loss stabilizes.

You hear more people concerned over losing the last 10 pounds, than people complaining about losing too much weight.

best of luck,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

White Dove
on 8/9/14 8:59 pm - Warren, OH

If you follow your plan, the weight loss will stop when the body is ready and will stay at that weight effortlessly for about a year.

Lots of people have a too skinny phase.  It is common during the second year after surgery.  By the third year the body adjusts itself with bounce back regain and being too skinny is extremely rare.  When my surgeon told me that before surgery, I found it hard to believe. 

But I have watched many patients in my group.  During year two, they are so upset with being skinny.  During year three they are desperate to try to stop the regain.  It may be different for some people, but everyone I know has had to work hard at maintenance after their "honeymoon" has ended.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Nmmsg
on 8/9/14 9:27 pm
VSG on 07/09/13

Yiur weight loss slows down and virtually stops as you get closer to goal.  I am 135 and really have to watch to amintain it.  My restriction is great.  Don't worry.

Nancy

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

diane S.
on 8/10/14 4:10 am

some people loose a few more pounds than planned.  i blew past my goal of 135 and now maintain at 120.  but i am thrilled with this weight - i think my doctor thought 135 was more realistic but he says i am not too thin and this weight is fine.

its true that at a year or year and a half your restriction seems to relax more and you can eat a little more.  plus you can eat some high fat stuff like peanut butter which is what i did to stop weight loss. now  4 years later i have to watch the peanut butter to avoid weight gain. 

you are doing great and will get to goal soon.  congrats.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/14 2:48 am

As already mentioned, your restriction will relax, you will learn all kinds of "neat tricks" to eat around your sleeve and your weight loss will bottom out.  You might go a little lower than you intended, but you can always regain a bit by adding in more fat and calories.  Eventually, you will miss this, so enjoy the ride and don't try to slow it down.  It is hard to imagine now, but eventually you will have to work at maintenance and not gaining weight back.  Nothing to be scared off here, just go with it and have a great time clothes shopping.  :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 128 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 376 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 414 views