Will the gastric sleeve surgery really work for me?

FreeFran
on 8/10/14 5:36 am

OK, so I'm almost ready to commit to having the surgery,but I am really worried it won't work for me. Why? And I am sure a lot of heavy people say this, but I don't eat that much. At least, not because I'm hungry. I eat all the wrong things at the worst times, but I don't binge eat, never have seconds, and rarely clear my plate. I will choose a cupcake over dinner and if I do eat dinner first, I will still have the cupcake before bed even if that means eating it at midnight. The first thing my husband said when I told him I wanted to possibly have the surgery "but you don't eat that much". My mom said the exact same thing when I told her. I wish I could stop wanting slim Jim's, candy and junk food but it's what I like to eat and it rarely has anything to do with being hungry. Will I still want to eat like this after surgery? If I stop and eat the right thing first will the craving still make me eat the junk?

I know surgery isn't a magic cure. I have to make changes, but how do I squash the devil on my shoulder telling me I can eat the twinkee instead of the meal and still stay within my calorie count?  If appetite isn't my issue can this surgery be helpful for me?

Am I too weak for this to work? Be honest. I can take it. 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 8/10/14 8:03 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It would be a good idea to go to a bariatric seminar that will go into all the wls out there b4 making your final decision. If it's something that you don't eat much but eat all the wrong things, wls probably won't work for you. What is common with each surgery is that if you continue with eating a lot of things like the candy, cakes,  junk food etc, you won't lose weight. You have to decide for yourself if you can commit to a lifestyle change, but if you are willing then wls is an effective tool to help you lose the weight., & keep it off.

This is a major commitment & head hunger will pop up b4 & after surgery, cravings for the carbs will come, but if you can get off of those, the cravings will be a lot less., & just know there will be times when you may give in, but analyze what made you go off track & then get right back on it again. You're not weak, you're taking the first steps to a healthier you, the wls tool can work for you, choosing the one that will work the best for you ultimately only you can decide, good luck in whatever you choose to do!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cappy11448
on 8/10/14 8:08 am

I found the only way I could avoid the carb monster is to stop eating carbs.  I limit my carbs to under 25 g per day.  That means I get all my carbs from dairy and low carb green veggies.  I am very sensitive to carbs, and I know what if I eat a twinky one day, the diet will be all over in terms of my cravings and will power. 

some people can eat a moderate number of carbs without cravings, but not me!  I'd suggest trying to limit carbs for 3 or 4 days and see if the cravings subside. That means no potatoes, rice, pasta, sweets, and see if the cravings subside.    that may be your answer...

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

hollykim
on 8/10/14 8:24 am, edited 8/10/14 8:24 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

what is your current weight/BMI? Ppl don't get to the point of needing WLS by " not eating that much" I suggest you track every bite you put in your mouth for three day,everything,even cupcakes. Then you will have a better idea of why you are needing Wls. Www.myfitnesspal.com is a good tracker to use.

Gwen M.
on 8/10/14 8:35 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You sound like me.  And a lot of people told me I don't eat much because they're not around me 24/7 so they really have no idea of how much I ate.  

You make yourself eat junk, not cravings.  When I decided I was ready to commit to surgery, I decided that I was also ready to commit to the complete lifestyle overhaul that surgery would require.  I wasn't sure I could do it, but I knew I was going to try my hardest and, so far, that's been working.  

I also started seeing a therapist to help me, since the surgery only fixed my stomach, not my head.  You might benefit from a therapist as well. 

Are you too weak for this to work?  I don't know.  I'm pretty sure no one else knows either.  Only you can decide if you're going to do make it work.  And you have the power to say, "so what if I'm too weak?  I'm going to pretend that I'm strong and act like I'm strong and I'll make it work anyway."  If you can act strong for long enough, and commit to lifestyle changes, eventually they'll become habit and just the way you are.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sleevarilla
on 8/10/14 9:59 am

What if you fail? Oh, my darling, but what if you fly?

Like others have said, surgery is on your stomach, not your head. You've already said that you don't eat out of hunger, that means you are eating what you WANT, not what you NEED. That only changes if you change your behaviors. Weight loss surgery will not change this. This is a huge commitment! I'm on day 5 of a 14 day pre-op diet and it is very difficult. You have to be determined and ready to do the right thing for yourself, do what you need and not what you want.

Best of luck to you on making this decision.

Follow my journey: www.sleevarilla.com

It never gets easier. You just get better!

Christyb17
on 8/10/14 10:25 am - Long Beach, CA
VSG on 06/04/13

I didnt eat much before surgery either. Now I really dont eat much lol my problem wasnt sugar it was fast food and occasional binge eating.  Ive lost 110 lb! 271 down to 160 in less than a year. I have never been happier. I lost all cravings for bad food for a long time but they slowly creep back at you. I knew my proble before was saying no to a craving and then binging so now I ddon't say no I limit. If I want a cookie I shsre it with someone,  if I want fries I eat a couple then est my protein and by then im full so I dont wsnt the fries. It can snd will for you if you want it bad enough and have the disapline to follow the guidelines. 

VSG June 4, 2013

HW - 271.4     SW - 263     CW - 159

inluvwithsleevie
on 8/10/14 12:29 pm
VSG on 03/08/12

I honestly wasn't sure it would work for me. I had some big doubts just like you. I just decided to go all in and make the gamble and do everything I could to ensure I had a very good chance at winning. That meant eating protein first, limiting simple carbs, and moving more. I wanted the odds stacked in my favor. If it didn't work then I knew I gave it my best try. Well it has worked leaps and bounds above what I expected and I did my part and the sleeve did its part. The sleeve keeps me satisfied on small amounts of food and yes I'm not as hungry as I was pre op. My part was following the rules as best I could. Just have faith and do everything in your power to keep the odds stacked in your favor. Good luck

White Dove
on 8/10/14 12:50 pm - Warren, OH

I did not eat much either before surgery, but the things I ate contained sugar, flour, rice, pasta, cake, cookies, ice cream, soda, fruit and potatoes.  I had to give up all of those things and still eat not very much of just protein and vegetables.  That is what it will take to make the surgery successful for you. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

brandnewself85
on 8/10/14 5:26 pm
VSG on 07/17/14

I was like you in many ways (only the choices for food were different). You are a comfort eater, an obsessive eater if not a binge eater. Food shud not be anything other than what it is: nutrition to survive at ur optimal health. Be an adult now and a responsible one at that. We have been childish all our lives and it has taken a toll on everything! U will benefit from a therapist. Do whatever u have to and change ur lifestyle for so many ppl depend on you.

HW and SW 281 lbs GOAL 145 lbs