Some advice for newbies

DeeNY52
on 8/11/14 6:29 am

Just came from my 9 month post-surgery visit with the surgeon.  I am down 77 of the 90 pounds I want to lose!  At age 62 I look and feel better than I did at 42.  I have been losing slowly for the last few months, but that's fine by me.  I've lost and gained so many times in the past I want to be sure to keep myself in the new lifestyle mode. I am no longer fat and for the first time in decades I feel like I can walk into a room and not look around to see (hoping) if there is someone heavier than me. 

For what it's worth here are  a few pieces of advice based on my experience:

1/take pictures and measurements before surgery and every so often.  I didn't and I wish  had- it would be nice to see the change in inches, especially when the scale won't budge.

2/The sleeve does not MAKE you lose weight, it helps you lose weight.  When they tell you this is a lifestyle change you better believe it.  You can NOT go back to the old ways of eating. It doesn't mean yo can never have ice cream, or cake or pizza, it means you put those things aside until you are at or close to goal, or it's a very special occasion and you are having a taste. You DECIDE to limit the sugary, fatty, starchy treats.  I learned to say to myself "Who's in charge, me or the Snickers bar?". 

3/Exercise.  I never did, and when I started I could barely do a slow half mile.  Now I do three mile/45 minute cardio DVD six days a week.  Do I love it?  No, but I don't hate it and the benefits are significant 1/wight loss is better 2/flab is reduced (and if you are older like me your skin can use all the help it can get!) You are doing something for your health, heart, lungs, muscles, balance etc.  Losing weight is not just about looking better.

4/Look to this forum for help- there are people just like you and people very different from you - but we are all struggling with obesity and we will struggle with obesity for the rest of our lives.  Your friends and family are important, but this group will cheer with you and console you and give you a reality check when you need it.

5/You can do it!  A year ago I was 238 lbs, walking with terrible back pain, huffing after one flight of stairs, snoring like crazy and stuffing my face mindlessly.  Now I am in size 12, pain free, active, and making wise choices.  I never thought I could change but I did and so can you.

So if you have 90 lbs to lose like me, or 190 or 290 or more you will find support and inspiration here.  Get that surgery, it was the best decision I made!

Nmmsg
on 8/11/14 6:43 am
VSG on 07/09/13

My same thoughts also- it is never too late.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

Miss150
on 8/11/14 7:23 am

yep,yep!!!!

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Queenb14
on 8/11/14 8:30 am

Thank you, tomorrow is my day and I've been nervous like is this the right choice. You just confirmed that it is. Thank you!

mzfree
on 8/11/14 11:41 am - Chicago, IL
with

You are an inspiration!!! tysm for sharing , I am in the process of getting sleeved and i wanna be strong in my walk like you 

He is my help 

feels_so_good
on 8/11/14 12:16 pm
VSG on 05/20/14

What a great post, well said! Congrats on you success and new healthier lifestyle. 

5'10" Male : Consult Weight 428 1/16/14 : Pre-op m1 -3, m2 -12, m3 0, m4 -27 : SW 386 : m1 -25, m2 -22 m3 -15 4 -12: LW 278 CW 320 : Total Loss 108

Saraberry
on 8/11/14 12:25 pm

Great job, I hope that I am successful like you.

Had my surgery 6/30 and have lost 20lbs since, no weight loss in 2 weeks. I have have several setbacks, but hope in maybe less than a week can get on track and exercise and get the correct protien and fluid in. It's been a hard road so far. But I know I can do this. 

Can you share with me what kind of vitamins you use and you favorite protein? I tired of the milk base drinks. Do you use the unflavored protein if so what brand? 

I had to be so carefully about acidic type foods and drink. 

Thanks for sharing your story and encouragement. 

mollz007
on 8/11/14 12:43 pm
VSG on 02/20/14

Great advice! Congrats on your weight loss!

check out my blog!

Tlove6
on 8/11/14 1:03 pm

Thanks for that. I'm 8 weeks out and not feeling as successful as I hoped I would. 

I have 70 more pounds to go, down 33. 

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

Chelley0285
on 8/11/14 11:55 pm
Revision on 12/16/14

Thank you for your post!  Congratulations on your amazing weight loss. I can't wait to be feeling better. My goal is health focused. Seeing the pounds come off will get me closer to my goal of reversing diabetes and getting off insulin or drastically lowering the amount I must take. If I keep going down the road I'm presently on I'll end up in a dialysis chair. I have so many chronic health conditions. I'd like to knock a few off the list! I appreciate the honesty in your post. It goes hand in hand with the advise given in a book I read about emotional first aid for the bariatric patient, which says most of the battle is in your mind.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 92 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 313 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 362 views