stalling on liquid preop?

kellyomama
on 8/9/14 3:43 am

Hi all, I am sure you all roll your eyes at stalling posts, but I am still technically a newbie and I am preop in the liquid diet. My surgery is Tuesday The 12th. I was doing great on the liquid diet, I've lost 13lbs since starting on last Saturday. But for the last 2 days, I haven't lost at all and have even gained a few tenths of a pound. Now, I know daily fluctuations are normal, but I guess I didn't anticipate stalling on the liquid diet. 

I am on all clear liquids (sugar free), no food, 3 protein drinks mixed with water a day. No cheating since my 3 day rough start. 

Any ideas how to keep it moving? Is my body in shock from the change? Just looking for some reassurance this is normal, or some advice to change it if it isn't...

Thanks for any input, and sorry if this is a redundant question..

Bufflehead
on 8/9/14 3:49 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

It's completely normal. Your body is not a machine or a calculator, and sometimes it is just going to do what it wants. Get used to losing in a stair step pattern now -- just remember that if you keep on plan, your overall trend will be down. Because if a stall is bothering you now (and a couple of days really isn't a stall) you are going to be a basket case after surgery when your body doesn't do exactly what you think it should

And usually the preop diet isn't about losing weight - it's about shrinking your liver to a safe size for surgery. My advice -- put the scale away for now. Weigh the morning of surgery so you have a reference point and then don't weigh again for another four weeks. For now, your focus should be on following your plan, not what your scale is telling you! And it sounds like you are doing great following your plan, so put your head down and keep going, you will do great!

kellyomama
on 8/9/14 4:48 am

Thank you very much for the reassurance. I like the concept of a stair step. I have always been a chronic daily weigher, so that'll be yet another habit to break. 

I just wanted to make sure it was normal to stop, but you're right: it's not about weight loss, it's for a sexy liver. I saw those numbers dropping and I got greedy for more, I guess. 

Thanks for your input! Much appreciated!

Donna H.
on 8/9/14 6:01 am - MI
VSG on 08/04/14

If you want to weigh every day. look into using a weight trend app. It gives you a smooth picture of what your weight is really doing. As long as your weight is trending down, the little bumps along the way won't phase you as much. I like Happy Scale and Weight Trend+ (for iPhone). Both are free and don't rely on a wireless scale.

5'6" ConsultW: 312.4 (3/29/14) VSG w/ Dr. K Krause: 287.4 (8/4/14) 

Pre-op: -25 M1: -16.8 M2: -10.8 M3: -14.4 M4: -7.3

kellyomama
on 8/9/14 6:05 am

Oh, that's a great idea, thank you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views