What are your thoughts on this video??

Sammy D.
on 8/14/14 1:36 am, edited 8/14/14 1:38 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmp67YDlHY

I ran across this video and it seems pretty accurate from my experience, maybe our habits were taught in childhood?

What a wake up call and the Bible calls it accurately, Train up a child in the way it should go, and when it gets old it will not depart from it.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Patrick McGuire
on 8/14/14 1:47 am

Ouch…Its incredibly accurate for me (hence the ouch). My mom has tried to take some of the blame by using food as a "soothing" tool for me and my sister. We both have weight issues, while my parents don't. At the end of the day, we still have to be accountable for ourselves. 

It took 3-4 years before I was ready to move forward with my VSG (just a few days post-op now). I didn't want to be that guy.

Sammy D.
on 8/14/14 2:10 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14
On August 14, 2014 at 8:47 AM Pacific Time, Patrick McGuire wrote:

Ouch…Its incredibly accurate for me (hence the ouch). My mom has tried to take some of the blame by using food as a "soothing" tool for me and my sister. We both have weight issues, while my parents don't. At the end of the day, we still have to be accountable for ourselves. 

It took 3-4 years before I was ready to move forward with my VSG (just a few days post-op now). I didn't want to be that guy.

I agree 110%, I know ultimately I am responsible, bu****ching this rewind seemed pretty similar, except the fries as a baby thing.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

Sara T.
on 8/14/14 11:16 am
with

It's nice to hear that someone else took a lot of time to think about surgery. It was put to me as a late teen, again a few years ago, last year I went to a seminar, and now I have a date. I didn't see what others did when they looked at me. I didn't want to be the girl that "gave up on hard work" and had surgery. If anyone who thinks like that would do the research I've done they'd know that isn't what it's like at all. 

SophieNJ
on 8/14/14 2:56 am, edited 8/14/14 2:57 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

wow.  ok, so my point of view - great for parents, but I'm not sure they would all 'get it'.  i was raised long, long ago, when parents did NOT make different meals for the family...they made one (healthy) meal, and everyone ate it, or you ate nothing.  there was no fast food constantly being advertised.  yes, maybe white castle, pizza, or chicken delite (do they still exist??), but that was maybe a once a month treat.  soda was only in the house at holiday time.

so, personally, I can not say that it was how my parents fed me/used food, but more that it was other issues I had, and managed to find comfort in food instead. 

not being a parent, I viewed it with my own editing going on in my head - from the patients point of view, looking back at my entire life, and how I used food for celebration, depression, boredom, frustration, anger, habit, etc etc....perhaps several versions of this film will be made, and one will hit home for different people.

thanks for sharing...something to think about.
Sophie

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

BettieLou
on 8/14/14 3:57 am

Mixed feelings, really. I ended it feeling like it’s a massive guilt trip for parents (I’m not one). Really, if I had kids and I’d ever given them ice cream even once in their life, this commercial would make me feel like The Worst Mom In History. I also feel like this reinforces the idea that obese people have only ever eaten fast food and junk food in their lives, in massive quantities. That’s just not true for me, as I’ve always been a rare pop-drinker, and as a vegetarian since my teen years I almost never have fast food – and junk food is also a very occasional thing. I’m not saying they’re wrong for portraying it this way, I’m just saying that my immediate response is “Yeah but I eat like that maybe 5-10 times a year, not 7 days a week, so they’re not talking to me.” If they’d shown pre-packaged and processed foods, and large portions, and Starbucks froofy drinks, and beer – that would’ve felt like they were talking to (the old) me.

The best part, which would be great to emphasize more, is how they showed that we all use food as a reward, as celebration, as comfort. Our whole lives, we link emotion to food, food to emotion. The mom doesn’t have to be shoving French fries in the baby’s mouth to get that point across – more parents are likely to give a bottle full of kool-aid, which is as bad if not worse – but it’s a good point about how from the very beginning we’re taught to use food for more than just nourishment.

I also am a little annoyed that the whole set-up makes it look like the “life flashing before your eyes” is, for a fat person, all the food you ever ate. You know, because that’s what we loved the most, obviously.

Sammy D.
on 8/14/14 4:15 am - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

Great points, I think for those of us who were fast food junkies or big on pre packaged foods shows us how the world has changed from a time when moms stayed home and families always ate together at the table. Sometimes it isn't necessarily out of emotion as it is convenience. With high demanding jobs with unpredictable hours, and the need for everyone in the household to work, or just the everyday rush rush rush lifestyle the grab and go eating society is growing. Or at least for me that's what happened.

SophieNJ
on 8/14/14 7:12 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

Ah, Betty Lou, you hit the nail on the head - that's exactly the phrase I was trying to find - "life flashing before your eyes".... I actually felt that impact more than anything, and, well, since I am post surgery, I don't know if it would have made a difference in my life before...but it may in the future (re food decisions).  For me, looking back, yes, I had a full, varied life, but food/my body was always, always, always, for at least 90% of my life, forefront in my thoughts/feelings, regardless of what was happening.  My life WAS all about the food I ever ate (and the after effects/results).   Now those thoughts are secondary, and life takes a front seat in my thoughts.

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

LucyWong
on 8/14/14 11:37 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 10/01/14 with

Some mothers call this coping. I call it child abuse. Being a parent means you have to say NO otherwise you end up leaving the child to learn by letting life just happen to them....

My teacher passed out candy for good work too. But she chastised the greedy children that tried to take a hand full saying "sugar is a privileged not a right plus if you eat to much you will become sick" .

Of course when I asked my mother if this was true, she said "no".  The rest is my history too.

Sincerely, Lucy

Gwen M.
on 8/14/14 11:50 am, edited 8/14/14 11:51 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I became obese because, when given any choice, I chose poorly. My parents modeled great behavior, they cooked and served healthy food at home, I rarely went out to eat and never fast food.  And I still became obese. 

Everyone wants someone to blame. I choose to blame the person responsible - myself. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views