Thinking about getting the sleeve

Fatbill
on 8/16/14 2:24 am, edited 8/16/14 2:48 am

Last year I was going to get a lapband was approved and was 1 week away from starting the preop diet. I chickened out and canceled the surgery, I guess the main reasons was a life time of maintenance and after reading about issues from band patients and band haters. so I tried to eat better and exercise ...again...which did not last again...

I have been reading the forums and it seems this type wls might be a better choice.

but I'm looking for the pros and cons of this surgery, and what kind of eating habit   changes I will need to make after surgery.

thanks

mswatts
on 8/16/14 2:46 am

The sleeve was the best decision I've made so far I'm 4G on the out tomorrow and I feel wonderful there are some foods that my stomach have a hard time with like eggs and rice are top on my list but other then that I can eat anything I want I was uncomfortable the first 3 days after surgery and I've been good every since especially since I'm 70lbs. Lighter I have no regrets good luck.

Ready to live my life

mswatts
on 8/16/14 2:47 am

4G is 4 months out lol

Ready to live my life

SATXVSG
on 8/16/14 4:48 am - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

I am about 4 months out and everything went great.  Very little pain and was back to work in 13 days(desk job).  No WLS is a guarantee to lose weight but follow the plan and it will work.  I was too heavy for the band but after doing research, I would not have it done anyway.  Just too many issues.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Sara T.
on 8/16/14 6:53 am
with

Hit up YouTube! I've learned so much on YouTube. There are a number of people who have done full vlogs through their entire journey. You can see where the start. How their pre-op and post-op goes and most do a video here and there on what they eat at one point or another. Look at different videoers and see what each one has to say, that way you can get a feel of how different people fared at different times. To tall the truth it's the vlogers that have helped me decide to mover forward with a VSG. I've been thinking about it for years and every time in the end I just couldn't find my sense of being sure about it. But I am now. I'm sure I want it, I just have to be stronger than the fear. 

Stacy_WLS
on 8/16/14 8:30 am

The sleeve is an amazing tool.  It makes losing weight possible in the long run.  

You definitely can eat around it -- so it is not a magic bullet, but it is great.  I'm 7-8 months out and still stay away from most carbs -- I do eat berries and sweet potatoes daily, but keep away from potatoes, rice, bread etc.  They slide through, take up room for healthy food and do not give you much nutrients or proteins.  

For me, the sleeve has turned hunger into a manageable thing.  The head hunger and desire to eat doesn't go away, but the physical cravings are now manageable. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Fatbill
on 8/16/14 2:46 pm

so what is the daily food intake like afterwards,what do you mean rice,bread and taters slide thru ? also would I have to take vitamins,and what about hair loss. so many questions,I guess I will hit up youtube. hopefully I dont wonder off and start looking at concert videos lol .the head hunger doesnt go away? will the feeling of being full stop that ? 

anyways thanks for your reply's

Stacy_WLS
on 8/16/14 11:42 pm

I currently eat between 1000 - 1500 calories a day.  I am teetering between maintenance and still losing.  You can see my detailed diary on myfitnesspal -- Stacy_WLS

Well rice, bread and potatoes will go through faster for me, but if I eat them with meat they take up too much room and I can't get enough protein in.  

I take vitamins -- calcium and a multi complete.  

Hair loss happened for me, but has now stopped.  It wasn't that bad, but I do have thick hair. 

The head hunger never stops for me.  When I stay away from carbs it lessens.  But when you see your favorite food you will still want it.  But it is easier to not listen to it b/c your body isn't wanting it too. 

VSG: 12/12/13, LBL, small TL, BL/BA: 11/7/14 Twins 12/9/18 HW after Twins 260. 5'10 37 years old - Stacy_WLS (MFP)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 265 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views