What makes this different?

shery11ynn
on 8/17/14 10:04 am

I'm new to these boards, this is my first post. I've been to the informational meeting, and have follow-up appointments for nutrition, initial meeting with the surgeon, and psych eval all scheduled. My weight is presently hovering around 300 lbs (I've been as high as 317), and my personal goal is 150. I've been educating myself by reading the materials I have so far, this forum, and other websites, and feel that VSG is the way I'm going to go. This has given me more hope than I have had in a very long time. I do understand that surgery is a tool, and not a magic pill. However, I've been on every sort of diet program imaginable, and while I lost at first, my pattern is to gain it all back and then another 20-30 for good measure.

The success numbers for WLS, according to the initial session I attended, are very high. Of course, success is measured by losing at least half of the weight that is needed to lose. For me, this is 75 lbs. I would be thrilled to lose 75 lbs and keep it off, but of course 150 would be even better.

One question I have that I've not seen addressed head on so far - besides the "full" feeling, what makes this method more successful than others? Why is the mindset different, i.e. more successful than say, Weigh****chers? I'd love to hear from some veterans here how this helped them to change their mindset over every other diet in the world!

Thanks in advance!

Sheryl

Tlove6
on 8/17/14 10:19 am

For me,  I'm 2 months out. The mindset isn't different. This is only a tool. I still want to eat fast food and pizza and I just can't. 

A bite of one of my kids goldfish crackers sends me into a guilt Fest. 

With this new small stomach you should only eat real high nutrition foods. 

I went away this weekend and was wishing I still had WW points to use so I could order a drink, app and diner. Maybe some Ice cream as a treat, but I don't and I can't do that.

This is a huge decision and often times it's very hard. At least my sleeve won't allow me to eat too much if I do screw up. And ppl DO screw this up.

Good luck to you!! 

HW: 283; SW: 269; pre-op: -12, M1: -16.2; M2: -10.6; M3: -13.3; M4: -8.2; M5: -8.9; M6: -8.5

MsBatt
on 8/17/14 10:22 am

In the past, did you lose weight easily as long as you stuck strictly to your diet? If so, did the regain happen because the gradually got lax about following the rules?

Getting a Sleeve will make it physically impossible to eat a lot of food at one time. It will NOT keep you from eating often, or from eating the wrong foods. All of that is still all on you. And over time, your Sleeve WILL stretch some---nothing like the size of the stomach you have now, but enough that over-eating becomes easier.

If you did NOT lose weight easily while on a strict diet, then you may need for help than the Sleeve alone can give you. The RNY/gastric bypass causes you to malabsorb a small per centage of the food you eat, for about two years. The full Duodenal Switch (Sleeved stomach, plus an intestinal bypass) will actually permanently change the way your body metabolizes food, and will permanently cause you to malabsorb a significant per centage of the calories you take in, especially calories from fat. The post-op 'diet' for the DS is significantly different from that f the Sleeve or the RNY.

Ideally, you need to research all three in depth, and pick the one that you can comfortably stick to its 'diet' for the rest of your life, without being unhappy or struggling.

mickeymantle
on 8/18/14 6:15 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I am 1 year out and lost 150+ lb since starting the process, ,

I am rarely  hungry and a few bites stops that 

I eat and track all food eating around 800 cal a day , but I need to eat 80 gm protein on my plan so that and veggies keep me full most of the time

3 meals  and 2 high protein snacks or low carb fruit

I eat 4 oz of protein and salad or veggies for lunch and dinner

breakfast is usually eggs with cheese or smoked salmon

I eat grilled veggies most days , veggies are good they prevent constipation

all food must be measured and tracked I use myfitnesspal.com there are other programs but this is real easy and they have an app for smart phones also

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 8/18/14 8:18 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For me, this is the first time I've really said "I'm going to beat this obesity thing and I'm going at it from every possible angle."  My mission at the beginning of the year was to work with every fiber of my being to be kind to myself - I had surgery, I have a therapist for my mind, I'm better at seeing doctors when I need them, I get a monthly massage, I talk to myself in nicer ways, I worked to find exercise I like and take care of my body that way as well.. I've never been so committed to really changing my entire life.  

So far, so good.  I'm not a veteran, but I will be :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

shery11ynn
on 8/18/14 11:36 am

If this was Facebook, I'd like this post. :) Good for you!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 48 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 207 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 291 views