Whey v.s. Soy protein.... Help

Rachael R.
on 8/17/14 3:07 pm - CA

I am going to starting my protein shakes and I want to know which one is best. I've read a bunch of articles and they are all over the place :/ So I was hoping to hear from you guys about which one you chose and why.

Rachael R. 

27F 5'3" High weight: 345 | Consult weight: 332 | Current weight: 331

Rachael R.
on 8/17/14 3:10 pm - CA

I just found vanilla rice protein... I'm so lost. Anyone use this stuff?

Rachael R. 

frisco
on 8/17/14 4:00 pm

It's always good to get a broad view sampling of what others do and like and protein shake/powder can be a bit overwhelming.

The most popular and best bang for the buck both in cost and nutritional value is the RTD Premier Protein drinks at Costco.

Also, Gabriella is available to you for any diet/nutritional needs/questions, she is an excellent Registered Dietitian for bariatric patients and really knows her stuff....

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Rachael R.
on 8/17/14 4:45 pm - CA

You are too good to me Frisco! I have. Whole notebook of questions I'm just collecting until this Friday when I meet with them both. 

Rachael R. 

MAchick
on 8/17/14 9:43 pm, edited 8/17/14 9:43 pm
VSG on 01/27/14

My program views whey protein as the best, whey isolate if you want to be more specific. I reallyy enjoyed the syntrax nectars because they were thin,  had good flavors like a juice,  mixed well,  And no carbs in some of them.  I also liked the plain vanilla and chocolate powders from Target. .. Market Pantry? I missed them with hot and iced coffee. 

Amy M.
on 8/17/14 10:38 pm - Grand Island, NY
VSG on 07/30/14

My program calls strictly for whey protein isolate. I enjoy optimum nutrition because they are low calorie,  low carb, low sugar, and have 24-30 grams of protein. They have really good flavors too. My personal favorites are cookies and cream and chocolate peanut butter. I mix with 8oz of unsweetened original almond milk and it's delicious. 

Pamela M.
on 8/17/14 10:59 pm - Atlanta, GA
VSG on 08/25/14

Today is Day One of my 7-day liquid diet.  I am currently drinking Premier vanilla protein shake mixed with coffee and it's really good and I am super picky.  I have also ordered Unjury protein powder (Chocolate Splendor, vanilla, strawberry sorbet, unflavored and chicken flavor) which will be delivered later today.  I'll let you know what I think about them - from everything I have read, I've never heard a complaint about Unjury.  I agree with earlier response - whey protein isolate - that's what you should look for.  Nothing less.  Also, almond milk has only 1 gram of protein per serving so sticking with 1% regular milk or soy milk is going to give you a lot more protein per serving (9g protein in 1%).  Good luck.

The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.   Henry David Thoreau

Gwen M.
on 8/18/14 8:25 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I use almond milk because I like to have a choice as to where my carbs come from and I prefer them to come from tastier sources than cow milk :D  I also try to avoid added soy, so almond milk is a great nutritionally neutral option.  And it makes super tasty shakes!  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TexasLady52
on 8/18/14 1:01 am
Revision on 06/10/14

I have always drinked protein drinks.  I did not have any problems drinking them before my surgery.  Your tasted changes after the surgery.  I got where I could not choke another protein drink down.  I tried everything!!  Then someone told me about....Genepro http://www.musclegen.net/ .... this is oderless and tasteless and does not clump.  You can add it to hot or cold....or just sprinkle over your food.  This stuff is great.  One tablespoon equals a scoop of Whey and has 30grams of protein.  It is approved by John Hopkins and has 96% absorbtion.  You can also order it from Amazon.  I go by every morning to a Herbalife shake shop....get a Chunky Monkey (35 grams of protein).....add a scoop of Genepro (30 grams of protein)....mid morning I fix a Crystal Light and add another scoop.....I already have 95 grams for the day!!!

mickeymantle
on 8/18/14 3:04 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

sorry to tell you texas lady but you body can only absorb about 30 gm of protein at one time ask your nut about it

so drinking 90 at once is just wasting the protein

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views