Can you prevent hair loss post op?

Valerie G.
on 8/24/14 1:20 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Telogen Effluvium is the condition we're talking about.  No amount of protein, vitamin, or special shampoo can treat or prevent this.  It happens around 3-5 months post op, lasts 2-4 months and stops.

How to prevent it?  
Don't get surgery, don't get cancer, don't have babies.  Don't put your body under any kind of trauma enough that it wants to reboot the hair growth cycle, for that's all it is...new hair pushing out the old.  All of those vitamins and protein will make that new hair nice and healthy, but it won't stop the old from shedding.

Get a shorter layered cut when it occurs.  You'll feel good after a makeover, and that texture will blend in the new growth.  Those with long straight hair tend to look like a chia pet as the tiny new hairs emerge.

Now if you're a couple years post-op and shedding occurs, then and only then is it a result of low protein, biotin, zinc, etc.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ElizaM
on 8/24/14 10:20 pm
VSG on 07/24/14

This is a great way of putting it. You know what drives me crazy? Our nutritionist said that hair loss is caused by insufficient protein, insufficient hydration, or stressing about losing our hair. Way to blame the patient for something that's not their fault.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Valerie G.
on 8/25/14 12:07 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I hold VERY little confidence in nutritionists.  99 out of 100 give RNY  advice to all of their wls patients.  As a DSer, this did me no good.  They preach nothing more than what you can read out of a book yourself. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

peggyann5
on 8/26/14 10:09 pm
I enjoy reading all the posts and I too am concerned about hairloss as I am 61 so I am already thinning some (just hair not my body, ) I am going to a wig shop in my local town that my mom went to when she had cancer and Just order me a cute wig. I will do this as soon as I get my surgery date . If I need it I have it and if not , I will just thank the Lord. Good Luck to all. I have already cut my hair short to get used to it.

dragonlove
on 8/26/14 10:59 pm
RNY on 11/20/13

ROFL!  Yes! I'm at the Chia Pet stage myself. 

Pam (RNY: 11/20/2013)

Most Active