2 weeks till surgery...having second thoughts...please help.

MsPayne731
on 8/25/14 5:27 am - Dexter, MI
VSG on 11/25/14

Hi Snoopy, it is absolutely normal for you to have the jitters, especially so close to having a new chance at living a healtier life. But I can tell you that I did that, I was offered to have the surgery 4 years ago and was told to drop some weight before surgery. Well I did so well, I decided "I can handle this on my own!" And I did - I lost 65 pounds in 1 year!  ........................I then gained 84 pounds back, developed sleep apnea, and type 2 diabetes! Now I am sitting by the phone waiting for my doctor to call me with a surgery date. Yes you can do it alone! WE can do anything we put our mind to, but I can tell you that I realize now I need help and I'm not ashamed of reaching out for it. Truthfully, only you can make the decision so I hope you make the right decision for you.

37 yo / 5'6 / HW: 325 / CW:215 / GW: 165 /  Surgery 11/25/14 

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/25/14 7:39 am
VSG on 08/16/12

DO NOT BACK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  BEST BEST BEST thing I have ever done for myself!!!!!  Please do not back out - it will change your life for the best forever!

Please see my past posts or email me directly if you want more support but seriously I love my sleeve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Gee
on 8/25/14 7:42 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Most people have second thoughts right before surgery.

One question:  How many times have you been on a diet in the past -- and kept the weight off?

We can all lose weight "on our own" - but we never keep it off.  Surgery is a tool that will help you.  Think back to the beginning of your journey -- what made you start the journey?

Good luck!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Large_1
on 8/25/14 7:54 am
with

Last year I thought, I don't need surgery I'm at my lightest in some time at 350lbs. Now I went off coarse and gained all my lost weight back and almost another hundred on top. If I were you I'd go for it but that's your own decision 

Dawn ..
on 8/25/14 8:05 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

SnoopyGirl, first off, WAY TO GO with what you have lost on your own so far. I have to say, I think quite often that i can continue losing on my own. I lost nearly 60 pounds with WW and gained it back. I have lost nearly 60 this time around by cutting carbs, and rest assured, without the restriction the sleeve will give me, I will probably regain agsin.

My preop meeting is this Friday and my surgery is set for 9/23. I am geting the sleeve because I jeed the physical restriction that will make me uncomfortable in the event that I attempt to binge. I need this tool to help me stay on track with my eating and drinking, and I believe that the sleeve will give me a better chance at keeping the weight off than not having it. Additionally, the fast amount of weightloss after having the sleeve (before the anticipated stall) will give me the additional motivation to follow my program and get to goal. Best of luck to you on whatever you decide.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

snoopygirl1968
on 8/25/14 11:16 am - Lisle, IL
VSG on 09/09/14 with

Thank you all so much!!!  What everyone has said is exactly what I needed to hear.  I AM going to have this surgery.  I can't do it alone.  I need this tool to help me.  I will be posting on here much more, and I hope to get to know you all better.  

Thanks again!!

follow my journey:  http://snoopygirljourney.blogspot.com

gnoff886
on 8/25/14 12:11 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

I felt the same way before my RNY and spoke with my husband about it. He had the surgery 1.5 years ago. His response was, "Sure, you could do it on your own. But you haven't been able to yet." I have lost large amounts of weight, so many times, just to gain it all back within a year. And I love not beating myself up over eating carbs now. Sure, I cut back, but now, I'm not dieting. I'm allowed anything in moderation. I am so happy for my pouch :)

KattattaK
on 8/25/14 12:52 pm

All depends. Is this your first time trying to lose weight on your own, or have you been unsuccessful in trying to lose weight more than once. Do you have health problems such as PCOS or a metabolic disorder that makes it difficult for you to lose weight or maintain weight loss? Wls is a huge decision and should not be taken lightly. If you truly feel you can lose weight and do well at maintaining, I say go for it! Perhaps you could give yourself a goal, maybe see how much you would be able to lose in a year, and if unsuccessful, consider the surgery to aid you in reaching your goal? Just a thought. Remember, this is an option, and if you feel you aren't ready, don't just dive in. Once you have wls, there's no going back. However, you can always postpone surgery and have it at a later date, if need be or if you so desire. 

Best,

KattattaK

(deactivated member)
on 8/25/14 3:34 pm, edited 8/25/14 3:39 pm

Congratulations for losing the weight you have.  I understand your fear..unlike you I was not obese till I hit fifty and started taking Lexapro and ate everything that wasn't nailed down.  I went from 150# to 225# and then to 250#.  I am also sixty six. Yes, I am having this surgery at the age of sixty six and that scares me. But being this obese, I am terrified of not waking up in the morning, and of dying of a heart attack or stroke in my sleep.  On Sept. 9th I will have the gastric sleeve.  I am scared of the surgery, but I am more scared of dying.
In your case, I would choose the surgery if that is what you want. It is your choice. The problem with dieting is that around ninety percent of people who lose weight gain it back and more.  It isn't so much that people who diet and fail are weak. They're not. When your body senses you are going into starvation mode, well you know what happens.  Whatever you choose, I wish you the best with your weight loss.

snoopygirl1968
on 8/26/14 12:31 am - Lisle, IL
VSG on 09/09/14 with

Sept 9 is my date as well!!!  My primary told me that if I didn't do something, I wouldn't be around  for my kids.  I have diabetes, high BP, Crohn's, and thyroid issues.  I needed to read all these responses and I know this is what I want to do.  I've tried to lose weight for 20 years and have not been able to do it.  Good luck to you.

follow my journey:  http://snoopygirljourney.blogspot.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 97 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views