OT: still don't have boobs

bigredlt
on 9/3/14 9:19 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

it's been awhile since I have updated so here we go.. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma on May 16th, and I had a double mastectomy on June 20th. I had a huge bruise where my left breast used to be when I woke up from surgery. The skin died and became a huge scab. I had a hole at my incision line that was 3" x 2.5" and 3/4" deep.  I changed dressings on it 3 times a day and spent a ton of money on Xeroform gauze and other various first aid supplies.  Finally,  last Monday,  the doctor said that it was small enough that he could cut it out and seal me back up so we can get moving on stretching my skin for the replacement boobs. 24 stitches inside and 16 stitches outside. I go this coming Monday to get the stitches out and hopefully get an expander fill.  I'm having a flap reconstruction done instead of implants.  In layman's terms,  He will use skin & tissue from my lower stomach to create boobs for me,  so I essentially get a tummy tuck in exchange for catching cancer and losing the boobs.  Hopefully the reconstruction surgery will be in January,  so I can sit at home for 6 weeks and not have to drive to work in the snow! 

I haven't weighed this week,  but I've lost 90 lbs so far. 24w to 16m pants. 2X to L in shirts.  VSG took the boobs from 42DD to 38D (actually 38 long), then cancer took them from 38D to barely an A. I haven't worn a bra since June 19th. Early detection was my saving grace.  Please stay on top of your mammograms and check ups!  Mine was caught so early that I didn't need chemo or radiation.  

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Kelly Jean
on 9/3/14 9:30 am
VSG on 04/08/14

Your story is so touching you are so strong and brave... you have been through so much and yet have somehow stayed so positive ... your an inspiration....  Btw congratulations on you awesome weight loss... keep it going!!! Your in my thought and prayers !!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

bigredlt
on 9/3/14 11:19 am - Harrisburg, PA
VSG on 03/07/14 with

Thank you.  I have been very open about the process on here and my Facebook page.  When I started out,  I thought that if I could get one person to schedule their mammogram because they kept putting it off, then my openness would be worth it.  So far,  7 women have told me they went for the test.  I have found that I can accomplish so much more with a positive attitude.  It's easy once the shock wears off!!!!!

42 y/o, 5'7", HW 289, Start Weight 280. SW 264 on 3/7/14. Diagnosed w/IDC 5/16/14.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 9/3/14 12:12 pm

I'm glad to hear you are healing well now. That is great news! One of my coworkers had her tummy boobs done in January, and not only is she healthy and feeling great, she healed really well. Early detection also caught her breast cancer.

I will keep swinging a chicken that it is all smooth sailing here on out!

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active