Blood clots

2ndtimesacharm
on 9/6/14 9:36 am

How long do I have to worry about blood clots 

I have been walking everyday since surgery 

except today my left knee was a little swollen and sore so I decided to elevate it and did housework and light walking around the house today 

I'm hoping this is not a clot I had surgery August 20th could it be possible even with all the walking I've been doing? 

Oh and it does feel better not as sore now But still swollen a little

Thanks 

veggiegal10
on 9/6/14 10:33 am

I'm not a doctor and if you're really concerned you should go to the ER or call your doctor on Monday.  DVTs are nothing to mess with.  You can be at risk for blood clots at any time you are sedentary too long.  So, it sounds like if you are walking every day it is *probably* unlikely you have a clot but its not impossible.

If it gets better its also less likely, since the pain and other symptoms attributable to DVTS tend to get worse, not better (I had a DVT which turned into a Pulmonary Embolism.  I had calf pain...then thigh pain as the clot moved up my leg. Then shortness of breath and chest pain...and only then did I go to the ER.)  

If it is a clot, there may be swelling of the affected area, warmth, redness, and pain.

Again, if you're concerned, go see someone.  Trust me, you'd rather be wrong than ignore it until it becomes life threatening (not to scare you).

HW: 227lbs Weight at surgery: 209lbs CW: 153lbs GW: ~145lbs.

VSG w/ Dr. Dunnican 8/10/2009; Revision w/ Dr. Wayne Weiss 3/31/14

jessica1371
on 9/6/14 10:50 am, edited 9/6/14 10:51 am - Elgin, IL
VSG on 08/29/14

My legs have sore  spots on and off, I had surgery 8/29. My surgeon had me injections of Lovenox (blood thinner, to prevent blood clots) while in the hospital. Also I have a 10 day script of daily injections to administer myself. They suck to do cause you need to give it in the belly, and they cause bruising, but rather be safe than sorry. I have 5 days left... yippy!!  LOL

STATS: 5'7" HW: 424 (Jan 2014)   SW: 391 (Aug 2014)  CW: 323 (Jan 2015)

2ndtimesacharm
on 9/6/14 11:15 am

Thank you for your response 

ill be calling tomorrow as my leg just feels overall sore and numb

a tingly sensation at times 

better to be safe than sorry 

only instruction I had after surgery was walk walk walk and I've walked once a day every day at least 2 miles sometimes 3 

maybe I need to walk a couple times per day to be safe 

thanks again 

Most Active