Post op insomnia after sleeve

LSophia
on 9/7/14 9:02 pm

I have dealt with post op insomnia from day one and getting worried because I am returning to work. I have tried melatonin which has always been helpful when transitioning as a shift worker but it is not working even with large doses and re-dosing in the middle of the night. I can go to sleep for a couple hours and then I am awake the rest of the night. I don't use caffeine, no naps during the day even though I really want to, walk 3-5 miles a day and still trouble sleeping. My guess is it is hormonal changes but not sure what to do at this point. After a couple nights of little sleep I will sleep great for one night but insomnia again directly afterwards. My doctor says that insomnia has been noted in others. Anyone else? Anything helped? I have even tried eating closer to bed time thinking I am just hungry but that has failed as well. Would love feedback. I am one month out from surgery now. If you have had insomnia and it has resolved at what point did it get better?  Thanks in advance. 

Redhotqtee
on 9/7/14 10:14 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I had insominia really bad after surgery also.  I would sleep for about 2-3 hours, then be up the rest of the night.. I too, never took naps during the day, no coffee(because I couldnt have it).. For me, it lasted about a month or so.  There was really nothing in particular that I did to make myself sleep, I just let it "run it's course".. Hopefully, it doesnt last that long for you..

LSophia
on 9/8/14 10:58 am

I hope timing is similar for me because I am a month out now. Thanks for writing you have given me hope. Leah

SophieNJ
on 9/7/14 10:25 pm - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

I can only tell you what I do when my mind won't shut up...try to create a 'routine'...warm shower, warm/hot decaf herbal tea (Celestial Seasonings "Sleepy Time" for me), and, while it's recommended no electronics, I do use my ipod with fisher price lullabies (why just for babies?!) to lull me to sleep, or meditations/podcasts specifically for relaxing/sleep.

Good luck, may the zzzzz's be with you!
Sophie

weese
on 9/8/14 9:35 am
VSG on 02/26/14

any chance you are on thyroid medication?  My levels were way off after loosing so much weight.  I was over corrected causing insomnia, heat palpitations, flushing, heat intolerance.  They lowered my dosage no I am back to my usual self, freezing again and sleeping through the night....

Lisa

Surgery 2/26/14 with Dr. Stephen Marshall in Peoria, Il

LSophia
on 9/8/14 10:55 am

I am not on any thyroid medications but I suppose with the fast weight loss my TSH levels could be a little out of wack. Thanks for responding. Leah

csbsteph
on 9/8/14 11:27 am, edited 9/8/14 11:31 am - AL
VSG on 03/13/14

What Sophie said above is great advice.  Your/our hormones get out of whack bad for about 3-4 months and that can cause insomnia.  I struggled with insomnia even before surgery due to forced menopause from having to have a hysterectomy and My Doc put me on ambien probably 2 years ago.  I don't take it every night but I do still use it maybe 3-4 nights a week.  Ask your Doc for some, it comes in a generic called zolpidem and works just as good as the name brand.  I hate to push a pill at you but they do really work and I always wake up refreshed and not tired the next day.  Tylenol pm would keep me groggy the next day, zquil didn't work for me & melatonin quit working for me too.  Other than the ambien don'****ch tv in your bedroom; listen to soothing sounds on a sleep sound machine; these are usually found in the housewares dept. of stores like wal-mart near the table-top fountains and candles/lamps.  & these windchime sounds always relax me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSqHrZgiwRM doing relaxing yoga also really helps http://www.womenshealthmag.com/yoga/bedtime-yoga?page=2   I know your body is tired if you're soon out from surgery but the difficulty sleeping is probably hormone related and will pass.  Good luck and sweet dreams : )

With God ALL things are possible! VSG 3/13/14 Dr. John Mathews

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views