Instructions unclear, please help!

TeressaJ
on 9/9/14 10:55 am

I am 10 weeks out tomorrow and I saw my nurse practitioner yesterday and as she looked through my food log she made comments on certain foods I'm eating, like skim milk, saying it's almost pure sugar. I explained it makes my stomach feel calm and I only drink 1/4 cup at a time, once or twice per day. She also kept commenting that I need to get my healthy habits set before a year to a year and a half is up because then I will begin to gain back weight. Before I could ask her why she was on to the next topic and I forgot to ask her before I left. Does anyone know what will happen at that time? Will my stomach stretch back out to allow more calories? I can't consume more than 500 per day right now, no matter how hard I try. I guess unless I were to eat sweets and carbs at every meal, which I do not. Why will I gain weight?

cece58
on 9/9/14 11:11 am - CA

Your stomach will heal and your capacity will get bigger.  The first year is the "honeymoon" phase. In the beginning you can eat a very small amount but depending upon the size of your sleeve you will eventually be able to eat anywhere from 3 to 12 ounces. Your hunger may come back as well (not as strong, but it does return). You will also find that you can probably eat just about anything and may find ways to eat around your sleeve. So, you should learn to make healthy choices now and adopt a diet where you are choosing food to keep you satisfied and healthy. Skim milk does have a lot of sugar. Safeway (if you have one where you live) sells a High Protein Drink that is basically milk with more protein and less sugar. I drink it in the morning when i take my vitamins. I think there are only 3 grams of carbs (sugar). It comes in 2% and non fat. You should ask about that if you want to drink milk. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Pianotchr
on 9/9/14 1:20 pm

Well, something must really be wrong with me...I'm one week out, still on full liquids and I can eat/drink 6 ounces.  Now I'm terrified that I'm eating too much and that I won't lose.

Pianotchr

Ihearttennis
on 9/9/14 9:52 pm - LA
VSG on 04/24/13

Your nerves have been severed so you may not be feeling full right now. Weigh, measure and log everything! 

"Whether you believe you can or you can't ....you are right! " by Henry Ford

Gwen M.
on 9/9/14 10:23 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Liquids go right through your stomach, so there's nothing to worry about. It's solid foods when you've got to be careful. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

cece58
on 9/9/14 11:33 pm - CA

I would be careful with stating that you don't need to worry about liquids. They can have tons of calories and they may go right through your stomach but their calories are absorbed and stored as fat if you're not burning them off --- just like all calories. Liquid calories are worse because you get no satisfaction of hunger or feeling full so you can easily consume too many calories. 

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Gwen M.
on 9/10/14 2:36 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I thought it was clear I was referring to capacity/volume issues. Apparently not!  Sorry for the lack if clarity. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

TeressaJ
on 9/9/14 11:23 am

Thank you, this was very helpful! I will look for that milk.

momofz
on 9/9/14 12:01 pm
VSG on 05/01/14

Kroger's sells carbmaster milk, high protein, low sugar,low calorie, low carbs.  Tastes just like skim milk, I love it!  They also sell carbmaster yogurt, also low sugar and great taste.  

civilmomma
on 9/9/14 11:15 pm
VSG on 03/07/14

Skim milk is on my NUT's plan.  It is amazing how different all the plans can be.

My clinic views skim and 1% milk as a good source of protein and low in calories.  If the rest of the diet is meat and veg, the carbs from that milk are not an issue.

I've had at least 20oz of milk a day and have lost 100 pounds in 7 months.

My program tries to get us off protein supplements and onto real food (including dairy) as soon as possible...so 1g protein per ounce of milk is a good thing.  There is a brand here called fair life and it is about double protein and half carb (sounds like the carbmaster mentioned above) so by drinking that I am meeting my protein goals and still keeping carbs under 60/day without needing to drink chemical/artificial sweetener laden protein shakes.

ticker5'-8",HW 347,SW329,M1-25 M2-17 M3-11 M4-13 M5-14 pregnant-->

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 266 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views