Did anyone else have to crush or open thier meds and take with applesauce?

nursebonnie
on 9/15/14 5:11 am
VSG on 08/19/14

I was told to either crush or open capsules and take my meds on applesauce or pudding for 6 weeks. I am a nurse and can understand the science behind this, but then again, could a pill or capsule ( both small) really get stuck in the staple line?

I also had to stop my hormones for three weeks while I took the Lovenox shots for blood clots. Boy was I glad to bet back on those puppies. If I had any ideas of weaning myself off them that put an end to that!!

Bonnie

snoopygirl1968
on 9/15/14 5:46 am - Lisle, IL
VSG on 09/09/14 with

I have been taking my meds whole....just one at a time with small sips of water (or crystal light).  I have not had any problems taking them whole.  I had asked pre-op and was told I would need to crush them, but then when I was in the hospital, I took them whole and was told it was perfectly ok to do that.

follow my journey:  http://snoopygirljourney.blogspot.com

56sunShine14
on 9/15/14 5:52 am
On September 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM Pacific Time, nursebonnie wrote:

I was told to either crush or open capsules and take my meds on applesauce or pudding for 6 weeks. I am a nurse and can understand the science behind this, but then again, could a pill or capsule ( both small) really get stuck in the staple line?

I also had to stop my hormones for three weeks while I took the Lovenox shots for blood clots. Boy was I glad to bet back on those puppies. If I had any ideas of weaning myself off them that put an end to that!!

Bonnie

But then again, do you really want to find out if it can get stuck??  I understand why you want to ask this, I have had to crush or empty mine for 7 years with the lap band.  And antibiotics??

I did find though that it was much more tolerable (not the antibiotics, NOTHING can help that) to drink the crushed meds with very warm to hot coffee or tea.  It just seemed less repulsive than applesauce or pudding.  They are cold and I believe it is the heat component that makes the difference.

Funny thing is, now that the band is removed, I am still buying chewables where I can without realizing I DON'T HAVE TO!  LOL

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

mmsmom
on 9/15/14 6:16 am - Woburn, MA

I still have band mentality/fears and cut off the top of my reflux meds and take the tiny dots inside without the capsule.  I did, however, inadvertently swallow a cherry pit one day and had no trouble at all, lol.

VSG on 04/28/2014

mickeymantle
on 9/15/14 7:21 am, edited 9/15/14 7:27 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I never crushed any pills and I take 1000 mg metiformin from the day I came home from the hospital

I use chewable vit because Im told by my nut the are absorbed better

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Gwen M.
on 9/15/14 9:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

The ASMBS says there's no reason we can't swallow pills immediately post-op.  So I did.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views