Question about Antacids 1 week Out

Kinde
on 9/22/14 8:53 am

I had my surgery last Monday.  I take omneprazole daily (break it open over jello). I had beef broth for lunch today and have been miserable ever since with heartburn.  Is there anything I can take being in the all liquid stage? Thanks!

Mcconnl3
on 9/22/14 9:58 am
VSG on 09/15/14

I take mine in a tsp of sugar free chocolate pudding.  In the hospital the nurse put it in a tsp of sugar free chocolate ice cream.  

Michele H.
on 9/22/14 12:08 pm - NJ
Michele H.
on 9/22/14 12:09 pm - NJ

Try sucking on Tums

Michele

Lisa167
on 9/22/14 12:49 pm
VSG on 08/14/14

Sorry you're going through this.  It's no fun!

I had bad reflux post-op and was told Tums were OK - to take as needed.  And that was one week post-op.  (this was also when they doubled my PPI to twice a day)

I would suggest you contact your surgeon.  Acid is something to keep under control - you may need your omeprazol increased.

Amber G.
on 9/22/14 2:01 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Hi, sorry you are having a rough time with heartburn. I had it horrible prior to surgery, and lucky it has gotten way better. I did start taking a pill form of a PPI maybe 2 weeks after surgery? I would give your surgeon a call, and see if there is something else you can take for now. Hope you feel better soon! 

Tracy D.
on 9/23/14 2:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Hi there - I understand your discomfort and pain.  I dealt with horrible reflux post-op.  We found out I'm allergic to Omneprazole and Zantac, and frankly neither of those worked too well.  Found that prescription Protonix works real well.  For the first year or so I couldn't do certain foods because they would increase the reflux regardless of what I was taking.  Anything tomato-based for me.  

The broth may not have sat well so try avoiding that for now.  I would suggest talking to your doctor about trying another PPI if you continue to notice break-through acid issues.  Also, I still sometimes have to pop a couple Tums during the day...no harm in doing that.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Kinde
on 9/23/14 2:37 am

Thanks Everyone! I tried the tums at everyone's suggestion and finally got relief! Going to lay off the beef broth for awhile and see if that was it....thanks for the help!

emelar
on 9/23/14 3:08 am - TX

For the future, try pepcid AC.  It's a tiny tablet.  My  program had everyone one it for the first few months post-op.

Most Active