Did your doctor do this during surgery?

trin123
on 9/25/14 10:06 am, edited 9/25/14 10:07 am

I had my operation yesterday and all went well. So, I am at home sipping on crystal light and water and protein shakes. My belly is still really sore but I think that's to be expected. My husband presented me with pics taken yesterday. By the way does every doctor take pics during the operation of him holding the stomach he cut out and the sleeve and show it to your family while your under? Lol...or was it just mine? I am okay with it but geez. I am not thinking it was my best side at the moment.

VSG on 9/24/2014 w Dr. Marsden

aharris30
on 9/25/14 10:10 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Not appropriate. Did you give him consent? Also not something I would be broadcasting. IMO.

trin123
on 9/25/14 10:12 am

It was just my mother in law and husband and yes I did.

VSG on 9/24/2014 w Dr. Marsden

jenn1469
on 9/25/14 10:15 am

I have pictures but no he didn't show my family that's kinda weird

Jennifer

Allison L.
on 9/25/14 10:18 am - Berkeley, CA

That is creepy and I would not at all be okay with that.

aharris30
on 9/25/14 10:18 am
VSG on 05/13/14

Well I guess if you gave him consent all is good...I didn't ask for my doc to take a pic and he didn't ask either. I don't know how common this is though. Would be interesting to know.

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/14 10:26 am - Canada

I wouldn't be comfortable with that.  Shouldn't he be focusing and not keeping his patients under any longer then possible?

Sheila_713
on 9/25/14 10:53 am

It's pretty common practice actually to take pictures and at least put them in the patient chart. Every time I've had an operation (gallbladder, appendix, lap band, lap band removal) I've always had pictures. That being said I was working as an EMT to pay for music school so maybe my surgeons always knew I found that kind of thing really cool. I definitely want a photo of my sleeved stomach! I'll put it on my fridge as a reminder to take it seriously and realize it's just a tool.

Hope you're feeling great and recovering well from surgery. Hopefully no more unwanted photos!

Sheila

Holli R.
on 9/25/14 11:47 am - Fort Worth, TX
VSG on 09/16/14

Yep, my surgeon gave me similar pictures: one of the stomach just before sleeving and one of the sleeved stomach.  Since they already have the laproscopic camera inside you, I'm sure it's just a push of a button to capture those pictures.  And since the surgeon likely moves on to other things once your surgery is completed, it makes perfect sense for him/her to give those photos to the waiting family (who the patient has signed consent to be updated on their surgical status) when he/she lets them know that the surgery was successful.

My mom offered to give them to me the next day while I was in recovery, but I made her wait until later when I had less nausea.  :)  Definitely need a strong stomach for that.

I really like having the pictures - it makes me feel more informed about my own personal WLS process.

Height: 5'0"  HW: 289  SW: 279  

Next Goal: under 250 lbs

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/14 11:55 am, edited 9/25/14 11:56 am

No one was presented with pictures of my surgery, however Tuesday was my 2 week post op appointment.  i received a picture of my repaired hernia and sleeved stomach.  I guess I'll keep it for posterity. I think it's strange your surgeon took photos with the remnants of your sleeved stomach.