Getting Ready For A Cruise And Scared Of The Food!

Wanda1118
on 10/1/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 07/09/14

Tomorrow I leave for Fl for a day at the beach and then Saturday we (my daughter and myself) leave for a 7 day cruise. The food last time was delicious! Any ideas to help keep me on track? I am almost 3 months post op and have lost about 65 pounds with much more to go.

susan88
on 10/1/14 10:16 pm
VSG on 08/08/14 with

Congratulations on your progress.  65 pounds in 3 months is an amazing accomplishment.

I am anxious to hear the suggestions.  I too am headed on a cruise next year and was going to post a similar question. Its far enough out that I should be close to goal but staying on track is just as important.  I am only 2 months out but I would think that if you stick to your plan that you will be completely satisfied.  I know that once I have my protein and a few veggies the other things that used to look so good no longer look great  (and there is no room left to even try).  I am looking forward to the options though.  The last cruise I went on had so many options and they were willing to make substitutions. 

Make sure you exercise so that you can maintain your progress. 

Have a great trip and update us when you get back.

Sammy D.
on 10/1/14 10:35 pm - New Bern, NC
VSG on 11/06/14

I would let your server know you had bariatric surgery and require small portions. Then I would ensure to order a dense protein followed by a small serving of veggies. That's what I would do.

HW: 478+ Consult: 478 Pre Op: 453 SW: 438 CW: 293 (7-20-15) GW: 225 LBS Gone: 185

VSG with Dr. T. Ryan Heider at the Center for Surgical Weight Loss at Lake Norman 11-6-14

ACTS 2:38

Valerie G.
on 10/2/14 12:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Always go for the protein foods first, then some veggies....but to remind yourself that you're on vacation, save a bite or two for something decadent.  You'll never feel deprived, you'll get what your body needs and won't have room to get into any trouble.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

summer24
on 10/2/14 3:26 am

I remember going on a cruise at one year post op and I tried sticking to my same plan that I had been following- no bread or white carbs, no drinking with my meals, eat proteins first, no sugar, etc., although I did allow myself a taste of dessert every night.  I was pretty well behaved, and the one night that I overdid it, I ended up throwing up.  So my sleeve kept me honest.  I also hit the gym every morning before breakfast.  Make sure that you do some exercise every day to help make up for your vacation splurge. I'm 6+ years now, and except for this past vacation, I have always behaved because I know that once you fall off the wagon, it's hard to get back on.  I just told myelf that I was there to enjoy the trip and the company of friends and family, not for the food.  Make your cruise about everything else but the food, and you won't feel deprived.  Also, teach yourself that a taste is enough.  You don't need the whole meal, dessert, etc.

Most of all, enjoy yourself!!

iloveravens
on 10/2/14 4:41 am
RNY on 08/13/14

I just returned from Aruba (I hit 6 weeks post-op mid-vacation).  I thought I'd be so deprived.  Not at all!  I was able to have bites of gourmet foods here and there.  The first day I went to the supermarket and bought a box of sugar free popsicles.  I couldn't believe they had my brand!!  I knew it would be ok from there.  I realize you're way further out than me, but I stuck with lots of protein, protein drinks for emergency situations, and sugar free pops.  Have fun!!!

Lanie; Age: 43; Surgery Date (VSG): 8/12/14 w/complications resulting in RNY next day;

Height: 5' 6" SW: 249 Comfort Zone: 135-140 CW: 138 (10/13/17)

M1: -25 lbs M2: -12 M3: -13 M4: -7 M5: -11 M6: -10 M7: -7 M8: -7 M9: -3 M10: -8 M11: -4 M12: -4

5K PR - 24:15 (4/23/16) First 10K - 53:30 (10/18/15)

Wanda1118
on 10/2/14 11:09 am
VSG on 07/09/14

Thank you all so much for your input..you made it sound a little easier than I imagined..again...thank you everyone!

CincyWriterChick
on 10/2/14 1:20 pm
VSG on 06/20/14

I just got back from a 10 day vacation on Monday, 7 of which were spent on a cruise. I left town at 180 came back at 178. I'm 15 weeks out from surgery tomorrow. I ate my proteins first, and then veggies, and even had dessert every night. I allowed myself a bite or two of whatever I wanted to try and then asked the waiter to take it away. If he wasn't available, then I put some water in it to discourage any more tasting. The only thing I didn't have was bread/rolls as they REALLY REALLY REALLY hurts me. We took the stairs everywhere on the ship, only using the elevators when we embarked and disembarked as the stairs were blocked off. We did three excursions and we walked a lot. Also did a day in New Orleans before the cruise and two days after, so even more walking.

HW:260; SW:Consult 235, Day of Surgery 225; Doctor's GW:150; My GW: 135

blmsdm
on 10/4/14 8:13 am - sherman, TX

I am waiting to get approval from insurance.  I have cruise scheduled December 20.  I will barely be eating regular food.  I am pretty nervous about that.  Enjoy your cruise.