Hi from a Newbie

knolmom
on 10/9/14 7:09 am

I have been waiting patiently to be able to post. I have been a lurker since my informational meeting with my surgeon Sept 11. Had a consult on 10/2 and , having started my pre op tests before I met with her, I have now completed Cardiac Stress Test, Cardiac Cath, CAT of Lungs, Sleep Apnea Test, Physc Consult and just today, the dreaded endoscopy. So far so good , I think. Going to have my surgeon's required blood work 10 days before my NUT consult on Oct30. At the last consult, my Dr and I were thinking late November. In the interim, I am going to try 1 or 2 meals a day of Protien Powder to see if I can find a Fave.                              At 66 years old, I am on the older age range of folks having this surgery. For a few years, I thought that I would not be a candidate, but both my Endo and Cardio strongly suggested that I " go for it". I hope the folks here will give me courage to push on in the event I get cold feet. Doing the prep for today's colonoscopy and drinking all tha****er( 96 oz) with no food for 24 hours got me started on" can I live with a liquid pre op diet?

wellzen
on 10/9/14 8:15 am

Welcome knolmom, My goodness you have had a lot of tests. Good luck with your colonoscopy.

Wellzen   VSG 9/8/14  SW 261 

Daelcare
on 10/9/14 8:37 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Welcome!  The prep is way worse than the colonoscopy!!  Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones and not have a liquid pre-op.  I start mine on Monday and am just no carbs.  Pretty restricted protein, but at least real food for all except the day before surgery...that's all liquid.  Glad that you're making the decision to have the surgery....you've got lots of time left to enjoy your new life!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

Judy700
on 10/9/14 11:20 am
VSG on 03/11/14 with

Welcome!  I had VSG in March, 3 months before I turned 60.  There are many of us seniors who are getting this done.  It's the best thing I've done for myself.  All my old health conditions are gone.  You do need a lot of tests, way more than I needed, but every surgery center is different as far as what they recommend.  November is right around the corner.  You weren't required to wait 6 months of pre-surgery weight monitoring by your insurance?  Lucky you if that's the case.  I had to be on a liquid pre-op diet for a week and hated it, but it goes quickly.  The post surgery liquid diet requirements weren't nearly as bad.  Wish you the best of luck!

VSG on March 11, 2014. 60 yo female from Washington, DC area. 

HW: 235  SW: 230  CW: 134.5 (3/23)    M1:-19    M2: -13   M3: -10.4    M4: - 8.2   M5: -6.4    M6: -5    M7: -7.4    M8: -4    M9: -8.6    M10: -5    M11: -3.6    M12:  -1.5 Goal reached 3/23/15 in 1 year + 12 days following surgery.  BMI from 42.1 to 23.9 

Kim N.
on 10/9/14 1:27 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Hi Knolmom....

Welcome to OH!  I am 62 and have had to have all the tests that you had.  It's a LOT!  I first saw my surgeon on Sept. 16th and will have my next appt. with him on Oct. 16th.  Hopefully soon after I'll be getting my surgery date.  Like you, I was a mess with the decision making.  Luckily I found the OH website and all of the wonderful people here have helped me make the best decision of my life.  After my first meeting with the surgeon and NUT I decided to put my self on the pre-op diet to see if I could handle it.  I won't kid you, the first 3 days were hell.  I drank 3 protein shakes and in each 20 ounce glass of water in between I added crystal light and a scoop of unflavored protein powder.  So at the end of the day I was getting in well over 100 grams of protein.  I also started taking all of the recommended vitamins throughout the day.  After the 3rd day it just became routine so I stayed with it only eating solid protein on Sat. and Sun.  In 3 weeks I've dropped 22lbs.  Please believe me when I say that when your having doubts come on to OH.  So many Sleevers are more than happy to talk with you.  A wonderful gal my the name of Kelly is truly and inspiration.  Read her posts and you'll feel much better about having this surgery.  GOOD LUCK to you and please keep in touch....Kim

BorderCollieMama