Protein problems

journeytome
on 10/11/14 9:22 am

I am 10 days postop and have not been able to meet my protein requirements. The protein powders/products I have tried are horrible and I can't bring myself to drink them. I have tried the Unjury products (unflavored and the chicken broth) as well as the products that my doctor has available (Nutrimed). I started my soft food diet today so I know that I will be getting some protein that way but it is still important that I get more. Anyone have any suggestions for a better protein powder? I have already spent over 100 dollars on products that I will never use!

Kim N.
on 10/11/14 9:39 am
VSG on 12/08/14

1st ~ CONGRATULATIONS on the start of a new life.  My surgery isn't until Nov. but I've put myself on a Pre-preop diet.  I agree with you, most protein powders are kind of nasty.  I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and purchased the big canister of UNFLAVORED Isopure ~ Protein Isolate (it's in the white and pinkish container) on the recommendation of a friend.  It has 26 grams in a scoop.  I put 1 scoop in my favorite Crystal Light flavors 3x a day (I add a little extra water, cause I find they are a tad sweet).  That gives me 78 grams a day as well as the protein food I eat.  I also take a teaspoon and sprinkle a tiny bit in everything I eat (chili, tuna, egg salad etc.)  The price when on sale is about $43.00 and if used 3x a day and a little extra for food the canister will last you a full month.  GOOD LUCK!  Kim

BorderCollieMama

journeytome
on 10/11/14 9:53 am

Thanks for the suggestions:)

jaifra78
on 10/11/14 9:41 am, edited 10/11/14 9:47 am
RNY on 04/16/14

I say buy some samples and then buy the big tubs so you don't waste money  this site has almost any sample you could possibly want they are not free but it's worth a shot to find one you really like   

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein -powder-samples-1-serving.html

after you find one you like look online for the best priced one I like the vitamin shoppe and vitacost.com

journeytome
on 10/11/14 9:52 am

Thank you! This is great!

mickeymantle
on 10/11/14 9:41 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you should buy them at gmc if you don't like them they take them back

try some eggs most people have no problems with them , I also like premier protein sold at Costco and walmart , the chocolate is best

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Dee R.
on 10/11/14 9:49 am - CA

I sent for some samples thru Nashau Nutrition also.  I have 12 to try before I even get to the pre-op diet phase.  Looking forward to trying them all!!

Marinadelmandi
on 10/11/14 10:31 am

I am 13 days post-op. I have been having problems meeting my protein requirements as well. I have spent a lot of money trying new and different products. I just cannot deal with the shakes. I still try and force it because I know I need it. I have started on eggs and greek yogurt to try to help boost the protein intake. I hope it works. If you come up with anything let me know.

sillymilly
on 10/11/14 12:19 pm - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

I didn't start meeting my protein goal until I was eating solid food again, and then not every day.  Do your best, but don't fret too much over it.  You will get there, slowly but surely.  Right now, I'd say meeting your water requirement is more important.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Dawn ..
on 10/11/14 1:27 pm - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

I am almost 20 days post op and on the pureed stage. Once or twice a day I put a half scoop of chocolate or vanilla protein powder into my greek yogurt, which makes 27 grams of protein (twice a day=54 grams). I get the rest of my protein from pureed chicken and tuna, ff cottage cheese and scrambled eggs.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

Most Active