Hope I can adjust to this...

Karen H.
on 10/15/14 11:04 am
VSG on 12/08/14

It has been 3 weeks since I've had my sleep study. Went in for the report today. I was told I stopped breathing 17 times in one hour! I had an irregular heart beat at one time. I was given so many numbers.... couldn't keep up with it all! I have "mild" sleep apnea. End result... I brought home an apap machine. Looks easy to operate..... just hope I can adjust to this device!  Hope to talk to the surgeon very soon. Just wondering if any of you have used this (oops, I just fell asleep) and how has it helped you?

ElizaM
on 10/15/14 11:32 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I've been on my CPAP for years now. I haven't gone one night without sleeping with it. I haul it with me wherever I go. You can definitely adjust to it. I had such bad apnea that I was delighted to get a good night's sleep, and I had no trouble using my CPAP especially at first. In fact, after the sleep study when we did the first titration, I was in agony waiting for my machine. Even with all those wires hooked up to me, it was the best sleep I had experienced in ages. 

I seem to have more problems with it now. I tried turning down the pressure which made me more comfortable but I wasn't as well rested. But in general, sleeping with it has been a total lifesaver for me and the annoyance is worth it if I am well rested. 

Sleep apnea is really dangerous and it's important to treat it!

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

happytoloose
on 10/15/14 1:28 pm

Been on mine for 12 years, its like my "Blankie"

Don't know if I can sleep without it but in a few months I,ll be happy to try.

Last preop was today, pre op screening done, 1st day of 1000calorie thing went well.

The 28Th is coming up fast now.

Good thing too, my bank account is tired of copays.

Gonna have to get me a sign made that says:

WILL WORK FOR PROTIEN SHAKES!

LOl.

So excited, and so ready.

changingmylife4ever
on 10/15/14 7:58 pm
On October 15, 2014 at 6:32 PM Pacific Time, ElizaM wrote:

I've been on my CPAP for years now. I haven't gone one night without sleeping with it. I haul it with me wherever I go. You can definitely adjust to it. I had such bad apnea that I was delighted to get a good night's sleep, and I had no trouble using my CPAP especially at first. In fact, after the sleep study when we did the first titration, I was in agony waiting for my machine. Even with all those wires hooked up to me, it was the best sleep I had experienced in ages. 

I seem to have more problems with it now. I tried turning down the pressure which made me more comfortable but I wasn't as well rested. But in general, sleeping with it has been a total lifesaver for me and the annoyance is worth it if I am well rested. 

Sleep apnea is really dangerous and it's important to treat it!

I agree with these statements. Although I have lost 125#, I still can't get good sleep without the cpap. I am down to 6.5 from 13 in pressure, but can't seem to come off of it. I have gone 2 days without, but boy oh boy, on that 3rd day I have to use it. My sleep quality is not good without the machine. You will get used to it, or at least I did.

angel720
on 10/15/14 1:34 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

I have never been tested  for sleep apnea  but I know I have it.  My husband needs to wake me up at times because he says I stop breathing and I wake up tired all the time. Consider yourself lucky, they do not look comfortable but waking up tired is terrible so I would be glad to have one.  

VSG with  Dr R. Wilhelmy @ Mexicali Bariatric Center

Dreamingofbeaches
on 10/15/14 3:42 pm
with

It takes a while to get used to but otherwise is fantastic in my opinion. I've had mine for years and I cannot sleep without it...literally. If I nod off on the couch I wake up instantly not breathing. Very scary. I simply don't let myself sleep without it and haven't for years.  Maybe someday I won't need it but in the meantime it is my BFF.  In the hospital after surgery I had it with me, they told me to bring it.  They didn't give it to me because I had oxygen. I kept waking up asking for it and they kept waking me because my oxygen levels kept dropping too far.  They would say I needed the oxygen rather then the CPAP due to my levels dropping to far and there wasn't a way to use both. Finally they listened to me and let me put on my CPAP mask over the little oxygen hose and all was instantly fine and I could relax and sleep and my oxygen level stayed up. 

Kelly Jean
on 10/15/14 8:45 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

I was diagnosed with sever sleep apnea 3 years before surgery and now I'm 6 months out and no longer need my machine xoxoxo and I'm well rested still it's been great!!! I was hard for the first month or so but then it gets easier !! :-)

♡ Kelly

gdesshill
on 10/15/14 8:49 pm
RNY on 01/10/14

I have had sleep apnea for 7 plus years. I, too, can not sleep with out it and carry it everywhere. In fact my PCP wants me to have a sleep study at goal weight and I am anxious about it as I fear if I the cpap is no longer necessary, I won't be able to sleep without it. I had severe apnea, around 40 episodes an hour. My pressure is high at 18 so it did take sometime to adjust but now I feel it helps relax me and I go to sleep easier and stay asleep. You will adjust to the cpap, some people just take longer then others, so please don't give up if it seems difficult at first. Sleep Apnea is nothing to mess around with, there are so many long term side effects of Sleep Apnea including weight gain and added stress to your heart. After surgery, I was able to use my cpap in recovery; the Respiratory Therapist just attached the oxygen tubing (via special piece) to the machine so you can have both. 

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Best of luck in your journey!

Karen H.
on 10/15/14 9:50 pm
VSG on 12/08/14

Thanks for all the encouraging comments! I have the auto clap that adjusts itself to my oxygen needs. I "do" have one question. I noticed there is a small amount of air coming out between the hose and the nose piece. Is this normal? I couldn't hear it but could feel it with my hand. I knew I had oxygen going to my nose because when I moved the nose piece I could hear the air so that part is working. Just wondering about the small amount of air I feel coming out between the hose and nose piece. Should I be concerned?

Karen H.
on 10/15/14 9:51 pm
VSG on 12/08/14
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 317 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 363 views