Omg!! Surgery TOMORROW!

nikki469
on 10/15/14 11:24 pm
VSG on 10/17/14

I am like freaking out, excited, scared, anxious, and elated. My emotions are all wacky. There is no turning back now. I can do this right? It is a great thing right? And I know the answers to my questions are yes. But why am I still freaking out? Can you guys tell me some things I need to bring to the hospital? Give me some encouragement? And ease my mind? I need a freaking valium over here!

Banana14
on 10/15/14 11:37 pm

Congrats! I'm headed in this morning. All I brought with me are loose clothes, magazines, Chapstick, hand lotion and my phone. Not sure I will use everything but whatever I don't use my husband will take home. Best of luck...you'll breeze right through!

Jiliana2
on 10/15/14 11:39 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

*hands you the valium* There, that should help!

Seriously... don't worry, we've all been there and you will do just fine. One foot in front of the other. Follow orders and you will be on the bench in no time at all!

As for what to bring to the hospital, it sort of depends on how long you will be in. I brought the following:

• phone and iPad, and chargers with long cords
  • a lock for the locker in which I could lock these items when I was not in my room.
  • my own PJs, which I happily changed into the day after surgery.
  • toiletries (many women have a visit from Aunt Flo; be prepared, just in case) including toothbrush, toothpaste, moisturizer (hospitals are notoriously dry), chapstick, and my own facecloth (a nurse told me, "You do not wanna know where those hospital cloths have been!"), body wash and shampoo (I took a shower at the hospital the day after surgery and changed into my own pyjamas and that made me feel 100% better!)
  • slip on shoes/slippers for walking -- bending over to tie shoes would not have been easy!
  • my own bathrobe -- to be warm and comfy; it takes a lot of space though and some people are comfy with just another hospital gown draped over their back
  • a pillow to protect my tummy on the ride home

That's it. All of that fit into a rolling carry on suitcase which fit inside my locker in my hospital room.

I wish you lots of luck. You GOT THIS! You'll do great. Have faith!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

nikki469
on 10/15/14 11:58 pm
VSG on 10/17/14

Jiliana thanks for the valium, now working lol. And thanks for the list. I have these things on my list but with my anxiety so high, I felt like I was over thinking it. you guys are great!

Luvmygs
on 10/16/14 12:15 am
VSG on 12/04/14

Nikki, its so common to feel all those emotions with any surgery. Everything will be ok and it will be over before you know it. Good luck and have a good and speedy recovery!

nikki469
on 10/16/14 12:23 am
VSG on 10/17/14

Thanks Luv!

BurberryPlaid
on 10/16/14 12:54 am - MA
VSG on 09/29/14

You'll do great! My advice is to trust your surgeon and your care team. Be committed to following your plan and you'll be fine. I'm early out but everything has gone perfectly & there's no reason why it won't be the same for you!

See you on the loser's bench!

- Steph Consult W 311 / SW 293 / Current W 267/ GW 165-160 HT: 5'9"

Michaela M.
on 10/16/14 1:28 am
Michaela M.
on 10/16/14 1:28 am
Michaela M.
on 10/16/14 1:48 am

Oh I am so excited for you!!! You are going to do great. I am 4 months out from VSG and I remember how I felt the day before very well:) If you are looking for a mental escape for an hour or so, I documented my entire journey (pre and post-op) and it may have some helpful bits for you in there! I also have an entire post dedicated to the day before surgery. www.journeyofonederland.com

You will be in my thoughts tomorrow as you go through this! Your whole life is about to change..

Michaela   My VSG Blog--www.journeyofonederland.com

Most Active