Does Anyone Hate Milky Protein Shakes like me?!?

KimmyKat3
on 10/16/14 11:52 am, edited 10/16/14 12:08 pm - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

I can not begin to describe to you how much I loath protein power shakes. I don't have milk like that in my diet. I'm a icee girl, more than an ice cream girl. So for post op and pre op, needing 50-100 grams of protein, I couldn't bear to drink all of that milky stuff. I have been searching for these amazing already made drinks that were lactose free.. From the list my nutritionist gave me there were two options. Isopure (zero carb) and Protein Ice. I looked up reviews and every single one basically said they were gross, unbearable,and left a bad taste in your mouth. I thought all hope was lost.....

BUT I decided to look at them for myself at the nearest GNC. Let me tell you how happy I am with that choice. I bought three cases of Isopure ( 40grams of protein per 20oz bottle, zero carb) and 6 bottles of Protein Ice( 42grams of protein per 20oz bottle)..(I would have bought cases if they had them, but I asked them to order more). These will be my saving grace these next few months. Isopure does leave a little dry taste in you mouth, but its bareable. The flavors definitely vary. Protein Ice is my favorite out of the two, it just tastes like jello with protein in it...and we all know protein has a distinct taste. Their both clear Gatorade-esque drinks. 

I did get the GNC brand Lean Shake just to switch things up, but at least I don't need to make it myself. I could also just put that in my ninja blender with some fruit or peanut butter and call it a day. I'd consider all of these options for post-op and pre-op for sure.

Lets keep it real, all the shakes and the drinks on the market all have some sort of funky taste that we just have to smile and grin and bear it. These are just adding to that amazing group of drinks that we have to learn to love. LOL Enjoy, and ask me for details if you want.

KimmyKat

Virgie Tschirhart
on 10/16/14 12:32 pm - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Hi Kimmykat3,

I too am Lactose intolerant.  I drink Bariatric Advantage High Protein Meal Replacement 27 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar, for 8 oz of cold water.  They have Vanilla, Chocolate, Orange Cream, Strawberry and other flavors.  They taste so good, with no milky taste.   I ordered them on line at bariatricadvantage.com.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

cappy11448
on 10/16/14 7:33 pm

My stomach wouldn't tolerate protein shakes after surgery.  The sweetness just turned my stomach.  So I relied on Chicken broth with unflavored protein powder to meet my protein goals.  I'd put unflavored protein powder in anything I could stir - yogurt, pudding, jello, mashed cauliflower, soups.  Its possible to make the protein goals without the shakes if that's what your body prefers.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Lemily
on 10/17/14 12:13 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Hey there, the premade isopures - for me - got old very fast. I switched over to isopure unflavored powder. every night I brew a cup of coffee (like 12-16 ounces), let it get to room temp, then add a scoop of the powder in a blender bottle. I shake it up and let it sit the fridge overnight. Int he morning its like having an ice coffee. I use flavored coffee and do not add milk, sugar, sweetener etc. Ive done this like every day for over 6 months and it works for me. I find that the viscosity of the coffee does not change, and I hardly notice the taste (which there should be none since its unflavored).

ElizaM
on 10/17/14 12:35 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I actually really like my protein powder. I make my own shake every morning. I've liked every Syntrax Nectar flavor I've tried, although some dissolve better than others. I'm also lactose intolerant and have learned to search for "Whey Protein Isolate" and NOT "Whey Protein Concentrate" which is high in lactose. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

happytoloose
on 10/17/14 3:34 pm

I am not real fond of any of them, but I'm really not fond of carrying around an extra person everywhere I go. It'll be so worth what we put up with in the long run!

I personally use an unflavored whey mix and add chrystal light flavors to jazz em up a little. so far cherrylimeade is my fav.

I'm sure that will change post op but I have several other flavors to work with I think I'll be good.

I use no milk at all, just ice, kinda like a blended protein margarita. Not all that bad really.

Good luck, stay excited, and god bless

Rod

bikrchk
on 10/17/14 4:30 am

I didn't hate the milky shakes until I was post-op. It was just too hard to get that thick, foamy stuff down with a swollen tummy. I found Nectar products that mix with water went down much easier. Lived on the Iced Lemon Tea for 2 months!  Today, I throw a scoop of chocolate whey in my coffee every morning. I actually prefer the taste with it in there, and do a protein bar in the afternoon. The rest I get from food and I'm almost always 75-80+ g by the end of they day.

Sweat is fat crying

CerealKiller Kat71
on 10/17/14 4:44 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I recommend Synthrax Nectar in Fuzzy Navel, strawberry kiwi etc.  I actually mix them with crystal light for a more intense flavor.  I also use a the vanilla bean (but I like "milky" shakes if I make them with almond milk) --- I like to take a half scoop of vanilla and add it to a cup of orange crystal light.  Tastes like a creamsicle.  

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Quanita L.
on 10/17/14 9:07 pm - Adelaide, Australia
VSG on 11/12/14

I don't like them either.... I bought two big cannisters of what I think people are referring to as nectar.. I bought an orange and a green apple one, and I hated them.  Had the tubs for years after and didn't have a lot of money to invest in anything else. (and to think I self paid then lol!).  This time I ordered about 8 different single drinks from online (here in Australia). 

I got  New Whey Liquid Protein Shots - so far I have tried Acai Berry and Orange - they had sold out of the fruit punch.  I liked both of them.  They have a juice consistency and I have read people mix them into diluted juices and kool aid. They are 100ml and have 42g of protein.  I am going to stick with them I think. Now I know they taste okay I can buy in bulk :D  (oh IDS Sports I think is the manufacturer)

I am on my pre-surgery diet now. Down 5kg already (I started the diet 1 week early, so have been on it for 2 weeks - 2 optifast shakes and a fish/chicken dinner with veggies).

Q Re-VSG & Plicated 12Nov2014 (all kg) HW: 110 '06 & 98 '14 SW : 89 CW: 81.3 Pre-Surgery: -9 M1: -6.3 M2: -1.4  TTL: -16.7    

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views