PCP clearance?

tooshky
on 10/14/14 8:03 pm

So I've started the process of getting a VSG and everything has been going really smoothly at my surgeons office.  I've been able to get all the necessary appointments rather quickly, (nut, psych). etc.  I have 3 sheets of paperwork that my PCP is supposed to fill out and when I went to her appointment she wasn't in so a different doctor saw me.  I asked if he could at least order the tests so that when I did see my doctor she could just fill out the paperwork - his response was - oh this will probably take 6 months to fill out.  There's a lot of additional testing that goes into bariatric surgery.  WHAT?!  Is he just misinformed or is this really going to take 6 months?  I was so happy with how things were going until I got this news from him.  My gut is telling me not to take him too seriously (he isn't my doc after all) but I'm so worried!

How long did it take for you to get your PCP's clearance?

Dawn ..
on 10/14/14 8:14 pm, edited 10/14/14 8:15 pm - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

If your PCP is like mine, you have to stay on them! My surgeon faxed my clearance paperwork to my PCP. I called the surgeon office a couple weeks later to see if they'd gotten it back. She had, but the PCP had made some vague comment that the last time she had seen me was six months ago for a sinus infection, meaning that she wanted to see me again. So the surgeon wouldn't accept that as clearance and I had to make an appointment with the PCP. Made the appointment for two weeks later. Came there with clearence papers in hand. I was there ten minutes and that was the time it took for her to complete the paperwork (2 of those minutes were her checking my bp and temp). Complete waste of time, but I got my clearence!

Call the PCP back and talk with the nurse and tell her that you need your PCP to complete the paperwork ASAP, and stay on them. Good luck.

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

mikesmom3502
on 10/14/14 8:18 pm
VSG on 08/06/14

The only thing i had left to do was an updated physical when i took the paperwork to my PCP. I was able to get an appointment immediately for that, and he had my paperwork all together in 3 days.   Hopefully your regular PCP won't need that much time.  Good luck!

Surgery Date: August 6, 2014. (Dr's Goal weight for me is set at 162~My Goal Weight is 145.  (I think, will see how i feel at 162!)

Weight at Start of this Journey - 243.5 , SW 228.5, 

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/14/14 10:21 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

I made an appointmet sat down with my doctor and filled out the three sheets and then sent them in to the surgeon. He also had to send a letter of support stating that he would be okay with taking care of me after the surgery. Took one visit.

SATXVSG
on 10/14/14 11:32 pm - Selma(San Antonio), TX
VSG on 04/22/14

6 months sounds ridiculous.  Maybe he is thinking the supervised portion which some insurance requires.  I would not get too worked up over it.   My surgeon did not require anything from my PCP.

Surgery Date 04-22-14 HW 2011 388(lost 60lbs on WW, regained 40) Surgery Consult Weight 1/10/14 - 367 SW 357 - CW 9/15 210.

Stalls are your body's way of telling you not to get too cocky.

5K - 1st 59:00(9/14) PR 33:45(9/15)

10K - 1:14(10/15) 1/2 - 1st 3/20/16

Jennsumner722
on 10/14/14 11:49 pm
VSG on 04/23/14 with

My PCP filled out the paperwork in the room with me.

KimmyKat3
on 10/15/14 1:34 am, edited 10/15/14 1:35 am - Yonkers, NY
VSG on 10/28/14

My PCP form had to take 6 months. I had to see my physician once a month for 6 months in order for me to have my surgery be covered by insurance. I'm sorry, but there is no way around this( trust me I've tried). Listen, I was right there with you. I made my decision in May to have the sleeve and I expected for me to have it within two months and be skinny by summer. As soon as the surgeon told me I had to see my PCP for 6 months. I started crying, I felt so beaten down and discouraged. I wanted my surgery to happen ASAP. I've waited all my life, and this one more obstacle was not what I needed.

BUT..... As soon as I personally accepted it, I made sure I was there EVERY MONTH for 6 MONTHS! Saw the GI Doctor, saw the nutritionist, saw the psychiatrist. It was the best decision I have ever made. I've waited my whole life right....so I could wait 6 more months. I'm speaking to you today with my Sleeve surgery being 13 days away now. Insurance approved and everything. I started in May. October is the 6 month mark, and here I am having surgery Oct.28th.

You will get there. I don't even know where those months went. It went by so fast( slow at times, and a few setbacks), but it will happen. You will do GREAT! I know its hard now, but stay strong and get all of your appointments in, and you will have your surgery before you know it. Keep us posted : )

KimmyKat

Brad Special
Snowflake

on 10/15/14 10:39 pm
VSG on 12/06/12

Many insurances require you do that with the surgeon not your PCP.

shery11ynn
on 10/15/14 1:42 am

I guess it depends on what is required from the PCP - but I'd ask him/her directly. My PCP had paperwork to do as well, and she filled it out right whne I was there for the appointment. Other tests were required through my surgeon's office, but that didn't go through the PCP, all they required from her was my history, and her (signed) support for me to move forward.

mickeymantle
on 10/15/14 3:06 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

It can take 6 month depending on the tests and when you can get in to take them , It took 2 months for me to get in to see the endoscope they where booked that far ahead , and I needed to have some of my blood work redone and it had to be more than 12 weeks apart  , It takes an average of 6-9 month for someone in the usa with insurance to get the sleeve

A self pay in Mexico can be in less that 2 weeks

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Most Active