Weight loss too slow?

becomingjenn
on 10/26/14 8:50 pm, edited 10/26/14 10:18 pm

I met with my surgeon last week for my three-month check-up.  I've lost 32% of my excess body weight; he said the average loss at the three-month mark is 35%.  He stated that if I "felt like my weight loss was slowing down significantly" I could kick-start my system by going back on a liquid diet for a week.  He did not come straight out and say I needed to do so; he repeatedly stressed the sentence about only if my weight loss was slowing down.

Between months two and three, I've lost 10 pounds.  I didn't realize the exact number until after I got home and looked at my records.  That is obviously a significant slow down in comparison to the first two months, but it's still a lot of weight.  Should I still be losing faster?  WWYD?

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

Gwen M.
on 10/26/14 9:54 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I wouldn't worry as long as I was sticking to my plan. My goal has never been to "lose fast."  My goal is just to lose. I know I'll reach my goal eventually if I keep working hard. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

diane S.
on 10/27/14 3:52 am

sounds like you are doing fine.  so follow surgeons instructions.  gl, you will get there.  diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Tracy D.
on 10/27/14 4:21 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Who on earth would choose to go back on liquids only?  Everyone slows down in their weight loss during the 2nd to 3rd month.  The speed that we lose at in the beginning isn't sustainable for several reasons so don't even have that expectation. You'll make yourself crazy.   

You are doing GREAT!  Stick to your plan and it will all happen in it's own good time.  Trying to "hurry" it along by going back to liquids (which to me is just a crash "diet") isn't any different than what we used to do in the old days when we wanted to lose weight in a hurry for a big event, etc.  

This time is different - it's not about how fast you lose it.  It's about losing it and then keeping it off forever.  Don't focus on the short-term...this is a life long path you've chosen.  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

becomingjenn
on 10/27/14 6:27 am

Thank you all!  Your good, common-sense advice has me feeling much better.

Jenn

"I know things about stuff."         

DISCLAIMER: User must apply appropriate Snark and Sarcasm fonts to above post.  Failure to apply may result in feelings of irritation and/or insult.

----

Sleeve 7-25-14 / HW 333 / SW 316 / CW 155.8

Valerie G.
on 10/27/14 6:41 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your weight loss will slow down several times while you're losing.  I always used these times as a trigger to try on new clothes, for I always noticed I'd go down a size or three.  It made it a happy time for me.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 45 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 200 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 282 views