Activities, other than exercise

Dawn ..
on 10/25/14 1:37 am - MI
VSG on 09/23/14

Good morning VSGers! So i was telling my therapist that both my kids have moved out of state and that I used to keep busy with work and going to their sporting events. And now thst they've graduated and moved, I no longer have their sporting events to keep me busy. She told me that I need o find some activity that I enjoy doing to take my mind off work related stuff, and food.

So I signed up to get info on ballroom and belly dancing. And I got up bright and early this morning and bought some craft supplies (and raided my mom's supplies), to make jewelry. I am excited about the jewelry making and look forward to maybe starting dance lessons.

What activities/distractions did you take up to take your mind off food and stressful thinking?

Consult 12/9/13, Pre-Surgery Appt 9/5/14, Surgery 9/23/14, Height/5'.52", HW/273,  ConsW/268 ConsBMI/49, PreSurW/213 PreSurBMI/39, SurW/193.8 SurBMI/35.4, Drs GW/140-150 My 1st GW/160 2nd GW/145
Visit my online store at dawnsjewelrybox.com  Independent Consultant ID 30858

ElizaM
on 10/25/14 3:10 am
VSG on 07/24/14

That's awesome! I love dance and would love to take ballroom lessons someday.  

I have a lot of hobbies competing for my time. I garden, quilt, knit. My garden could take up every spare minute and dollar I have, so I have to come to terms with the fact that it is never done, and my budget will never be big enough. I take lessons in horticulture and if I had time during the day, would love to be a Master Gardener. 

I'm getting back into my knitting and I am SO excited to get to my goal weight and knit for myself!  It took sooo long and so much yarn to knit for myself in plus sizes. 

I'm also really into selling my old clothes on Ebay. It's addictive. 

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Valerie G.
on 10/25/14 3:48 am, edited 10/25/14 3:49 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Belly dance lessons are something I always wanted to do, too!  I just moved to a tiny country "nothing going on" kind of town, so I don't know of any outlets for such.

I found that as I lost weight, I was all over the place.  I hate organized exercise.  It bores me to tears, honestly, so the whole gym membership thing wasn't for me.  I got active in my community where I was once watching in the sidelines.  I got into gardening and landscaping.  I liked getting out and about, if it was only to wander somewhere I'd never been.  First it was a shopping mall in the next town -- then before I knew it I was ziplining and doing a "Dirty Girl Mud Run" with my partner-in-crime who was dying for someone to do crazy events with. 

Now, I, too, am an empty-nester.  My son is in college and Hubs and I moved South and are building a cabin in the woods.  I am learning more about self-sustainability and food preservation and what high protein foods have the best staying power.  Next year I'll start a garden and raising chickens.  Today I am moving brush into a fire from last-year's land clearing on our property,  It's not glamorous, but it has purpose, and I see tangible results instantly. 

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Gwen M.
on 10/25/14 8:11 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I really enjoy fitness classes. So I do a lot of those. 

I also take voice lessons and sing in a local choir :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views