How do I know if I'm mentally ready? Major health anxieties.

momomof3boys
on 11/9/14 6:51 am

I've been treated for OCD/Anxiety since I had a health scare a few years ago. I ended up having two surgeries on my breasts, and have been terrified of medical procedures since. However, my last doctor's appointment revealed that I had become morbidly obese (5'10; 270 lbs.). I'm scared that if I don't have the surgery, I might die. Blood pressure and cholesterol stabilized with medicine. Seeing surgeon tomorrow. 

Rez_123
on 11/9/14 7:42 am

Personally, if I'm feeling overwhelmed with a decision I like to take the most logical approach to my options since it helps me take my emotion out of it a bit.  If I were in your shoes, I would research the hell out of VSG surgery and make sure to ask the surgeon how many surgeries he's performed, what his complication rate is, and whether those complications came from patients not following post-op instructions or for other reasons.  Ask the surgeon what percentage of weight loss you can expect with the surgery.  Most surgeons quote 50-60% of excess weight lost (EWL) so figure out what that number is for you and if that would be acceptable (important note: most people here on OH have easily eclipsed the 50-60% number and have lost 100% of their EWL or are cruising toward it).  

And this is kind of simple, but make a list of what your goals are for the surgery and all the positive things that could come from it. Then make a con list with your fears or anxieties.  Make a pro and con list of not having surgery (but remaining morbidly obese).

I hope you get a good base of information tomorrow.  I understand it can be scary especially with your medical history, but hopefully you'll feel comfortable making a decision at some point.  Good luck!   

VSG on July 1, 2014.  High Weight: 351 Consult Weight: 338 Surgery Weight: 325  Current Weight: 175

6 Month Pre-op: -13 M1: -27 M2: -14 M3: -23 M4: -14 M5: -20 M6: -10 M7: -14 M8: -8 M9: -3 M10: -7 M11: -1 M12:-0 M13:-0 M14:-8

Total Weight Loss: 163lbs

Gwen M.
on 11/9/14 8:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I've got a history of mental illness and seeing a therapist every week has really helped me, both before and after surgery.  Have you talked with your therapist about these feelings?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

DragonTear25
on 11/10/14 12:55 am

Maybe ask your surgeon, if he/she knows of a local support group or maybe hosts one.  We have people who are thinking of having the surgery come to support group almost every month.  I think being able to be in the room and hear stories and ask questions is the best way to make an informed decision.  I know, a lot of people think support groups are kind of a waste of (I was one of those people until I started going) but they are so value.  I highly recommend them. 

I have/had a lot of anxiety in general prior (and still do) surgery.  My therapist has been another invaluable tool in my success.  I would agree that finding a therapist would be great to tell manage the anxiety.  Also my anxiety is also centred around health stuff. Plus before the surgery I was concerned about you know not making it and leaving my 6 year old daughter and all the normal stuff.  But then I realized that if I did NOT have the surgery I was really going to leave her.  Plus she would have to endure seeing all the medical stuff go wrong with me and I never wanted to feel scared for my health.   I had to go through that when I was a kid (my dad had 2 heart transplants when I was very young.)  

For me it was the best decision I could make.  The fear was FAR worse than the actual surgery and recovery.  The fear of not being able to eat was again way more scary then the reality of life after WLS.  My life is pretty normal, I still do all my mom things but I am just not obsessed with food anymore, it is really empowering!

GL today and I please keep me updated!

gregcoop
on 11/10/14 7:41 am

Reading this reminds me of my own experience.  Before my VSG, I was suffering from many conditions that were caused by my overweight (obesity).  Getting this procedure done was the best decision I ever made.  It not only saved my life, but I began to live my life differently.  I changed my lifestyle and eating habits.  I had my family to support me, but it did take a lot of effort.  One of my doctor's recommendations was to eat 1/3 of what I would have eaten before my surgery.  I began to apply that rule every time I eat.  I would suggest you to go ahead and have the procedure that your surgeon recommends along with psychological support.  

Good luck!

GregCoop    

Changed my life on Sep 20, 2012

Most Active