Weight gain before surgery

Tealeyes
on 11/4/14 9:47 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I managed to lose a few pounds from the time of my first appointment with the surgeon to the last one.  I did get my insurance apporval...but I got on the scale today and I have gained 5 pounds!!! My Pre admission testing is Thursday....and my surgery is November 12th....is this weight gain going to be a deal breaker?????

Lmo2291
on 11/4/14 10:15 am

I think every surgeon and program is different. Personally I gained about 10 lbs pre-op, aside from my initial weigh in the with my surgeon (prior to the gain) I wasn't weighed again until I was admitted to the hospital on surgery day. So in my case it wasn't a deal breaker, honestly I don't think 5 lbs will be a deal breaker for you unless you were required to lose a certain amount weight before the procedure. Hope that helps!

Tealeyes
on 11/4/14 10:17 am
VSG on 11/12/14

No... I didn't have to loose anything...but they did tell me not to gain anything because the insurance company could not approve me.....I am hoping I don't have to get weighed for my preadmission test!!!!! that would help me tremendously !!!!

Lmo2291
on 11/4/14 10:22 am

Honestly I think you will be fine!! I remember freaking out over my weight gain, not eating for days leading up to my appointments and it never even came up. Try not to worry :)

Tealeyes
on 11/4/14 10:29 am
VSG on 11/12/14

you are sweet ...I just would hate to have gone through all this and then end up NOT having the surgery!!!!!that would be a night mare!

tracywag
on 11/4/14 10:29 pm

I think they say that to prevent us from endless 'food funerals' that would make surgery less safe and could derail our efforts before the first incision is made. They will weigh us, they have to have an accurate weight to administer anesthesia.  I don't think 5lbs is a deal breaker, we can fluctuate 2-4lbs over the course of one day!  Ultimately it is up to your team.

Tealeyes
on 11/6/14 7:23 am
VSG on 11/12/14

I ended up asking my surgeons nurse.  She said I couldn't gain anything up until the PreOp office visi.t....I am not schedule for surgery next Wednesday.  And i Only have to do a 4 day liquid diet.   I started a little early  just to be sure.

But thanks for your encouragement!!!

tracywag
on 11/4/14 10:30 pm

I think they say that to prevent us from endless 'food funerals' that would make surgery less safe and could derail our efforts before the first incision is made. They will weigh us, they have to have an accurate weight to administer anesthesia.  I don't think 5lbs is a deal breaker, we can fluctuate 2-4lbs over the course of one day!  Ultimately it is up to your team.

The_Sun_Fairy
on 11/6/14 3:00 am

It will depend on your doctor, but you should lose on the pre-op diet, which you should already be on??  Please remember that the reason for the pre-op diet is NOT to lose weight but to shrink your liver, which is important for your surgery!!  Just follow the diet that your doctor (should have?) prescribed for you!! :)  Good luck!! :)

Trust the Process!! :)

Tealeyes
on 11/6/14 7:35 am
VSG on 11/12/14

Yes he did..i only have to do it for 4 days....but I kind of started already... I will be so Happy when i am on the other side of this Surgery !!!!

Thanks