3 WEEKS OUT AND A BIT DEPRESSED TODAY

alib1976
on 11/4/14 11:16 pm
VSG on 10/16/14

Hi All,

I am three weeks post op tomorrow and today is a tough day.  I have entered the "stall" as I watch the scale barely move these last few days.  I am on a pureed / soft food diet now.  A typical day is a scrambled egg for meal 1, protein shake, water---lunch is about 2 ounces of turkey chipped, another shake, more water, and then a snack---either mini baby bell cheese, or a sugar free pudding with protein powder, dinner is pureed soup or another egg--more fluids and an occasional SF popsicle.  So I am hitting all of the requirements for fluid and protein.

I walk for about an hour a day--I have two dogs, on bad weather, I use my treadmill. 

For some reason, I now have the "what have I done?" voices going on, I can say I want to sink my teeth into a sandwich, or something with some substance.   

I have lost about 30 pounds since my surgery on October 16th.   I just feel like I am in a funk right now.

Any advice, would be appreciated.

LeapSecond
on 11/4/14 11:52 pm - AR

Sounds like you are doing everything right.  30 pounds in 3 weeks... Wow.  That is 10 lbs a week.  Fantastic.  I think you need to tell the voices that you are doing fine thank you. Best of luck to you.

HW=362(6/14) SW=314(9/14) GW=195 CW=270 (1-26-2020)

alib1976
on 11/5/14 2:14 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thank you Leap Second!  

Tracy D.
on 11/4/14 11:53 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I don't know that I have any "advice" but I can certainly assure you that what you're feeling is perfectly normal and most everyone on these boards can relate to what you're going through.  

I had a bit of "mourning" period myself when I was just bummed out about not being able to eat real food or real meals.  I told my husband that the surgery "sucked all the joy" out of eating and I really thought I'd never get to enjoy food again.  I was wrong 

The other thing you may have going on is hormone dumping.  Fat cells contain hormones too and as we release the fat we dump a whole bunch of hormones into our bloodstream.  So you are a teaming mass of hormones right now - that definitely contributes to the moodiness you are feeling.  

You are doing everything right and have lost a tremendous amount of weight already - FANTASTIC JOB!   Stay on the path and do some nice things for yourself to make yourself feel better.   Buy yourself some flowers, take a bubble bath, get a pedicure....whatever you do to make yourself feel special and pampered.  You need it right now 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

alib1976
on 11/5/14 2:23 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thank you for the kind words Tracy D!    It gives me some perspective.   

I wasn't even thinking about all the hormones from the weight loss. 

I have no intention of going off of the path, just tired of the liquids / soft foods. 

I will take your advice and enjoy a long soak in my tub tonight, with a good book.  :-) 

SandyB_in_CA
on 11/8/14 11:50 am
VSG on 10/20/14

Hormone duping.... OMG.. that's exactly what I have experienced. One moment happy feeling great, the next tears. I kind of put it off as that I had to much time on my hands (I got almost 4 weeks off of work) and I am used to being very busy working 4 or 5 (10-12+hrs) days a week.

rumpole6
on 11/4/14 11:56 pm

30 lbs is awesome, what an achievement, my loss is much slower than that and we are about the same time frame (10/13 sleeve). Also, stalls are inevitable and this sounds like the infamous 3 week stall. You are really doing great on all phases of this new life. As far as the voice it is also totally normal as the boredom and the reality sink in. I am down today as well, mostly triggered by a slight rise in blood sugar and I am just tired. But I talk back to myself and tell myself the reasons for starting on the journey in the first place which are still true, remind myself of the results I've achieved which are also still real.  I also plan on getting a therapist, but that will have to wait while I line up a new PCP, who has just retired. (I got his announcement letter when I got back from surgery, what awful (for me) timing.

Preop Diet 10/4/14; Sleeve: 10/13/14

alib1976
on 11/5/14 2:38 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thank you Rumpole6.

I hope that your sugar issue resolves itself.  I actually had to stop metformin as it made my sugar go too low. 

I am looking into therapy, and hope to make my choice over the next few days.

Lemily
on 11/5/14 12:01 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Funk YES!  DWELL ON IT...NO! It will go away. In a few weeks you will know what you have done and you will love it. This is a mind change as well as physical change.

Someone once told me, it's not a stall it may just be a pattern of YOUR weight loss. I am a slower, stair step loser BUT I have still lost 85.5 pounds in 10 months..seriously 85.5 pounds? and you will get there too. Keep your eye on the prize. Navigating through slower weight loss is hard, im not going to lie.

In the meantime....take your measurements, take pictures in the same outfit, and feel the difference in your clothes. Keep on track with measuring your food b/c your nerves are still cut and follow your NUT plan.

It does get better, it does get easier, and you have NOT stopped losing weight - everything that was in my mind at 3 weeks.

Keep up with your plan and don't beat yourself up...and don't throw the scale even though you want too!

alib1976
on 11/5/14 2:41 am
VSG on 10/16/14

Thank you Lemily!!

Congrats on your success!!!  85.5 pounds in ten months is awesome!

I knew going in to expect the "stall" at week three, and thought I was prepared, apparently I am not.  :-)

Most Active